Basketball is undoubtedly one of North America’s most favorite sporting activity. This activity indeed draws many fans both in the arenas where it is played and the television audience. Like any other sporting activity, it also has its stars, who are basically persons who have achieved substantial feats in the field. One of the most well-known leagues is the NBA.
Our conversations here below endeavors to look into five of the top dunkers in the NBA at the moment. We shall examine what exactly what makes each of them stand out. Also, we shall learn a little bit about their bio. For other details about the sporting activity itself such as the basketball hoop, we suggest that you obtain it from this blog.
Top 5 dunkers list in NBA
Below is a look at the five top dunkers in the NBA as we speak. While compiling the list, we examined their rankings, track record, past achievements, and the scores they have managed to achieve to date. This is besides the basic biographical information about them.
#1: Zach LaVine
Zachary LaVine is a professional basketball player. He is currently attached to the Chicago Bulls which is one of the teams that participate in the National Basketball Association. LaVine was chosen round one of the 2014 NBA drafts. He also doubled up back then as the 13th overall pick by the Timberwolves. The player is a two-time Slam Dunk Contest champion.
- Born: 10 March 1995 (age 24 years)
- Birthplace: Renton, Washington, United States
- Height: 1.96 m
- Dunking Height: 6 feet 5 inches (1.96 m)
- Playing career: 2014–present
- NBA draft: 2014 / Round: 1 / Pick: 13th overall
- Current team: Chicago Bulls (#8 / Point guard and Shooting guard positions)
- Salary: $3.202 million (2017)
- Parents: Cheryl Johnson-LaVine, Paul LaVine
- Education: the University of California, Los Angeles (2013–2014), and Bothell High School
#2: Giannis Antetokounmpo
Unlike many other top NBA players, Giannis Sina Ougko Antetokounmpo was not born in the United States. Instead, he was born in Greece. He plays for the Milwaukee Bucks, which is also a team of the National Basketball Association. His basketball prowess mainly draws from his gigantic 7 feet height, awesome speed, and unparalleled ball-handling skills. All these have earned him the nickname, “Greek Freak.”
- Born: 6 December 1994 (age 24 years),
- Birthplace: Athens, Greece
- Height: 2.11 m
- Dunking Height: 6 feet 11 inches (2.11 m)
- NBA draft: 2013 / Round: 1 / Pick: 15th overall
- Playing career: 2012–present
- Wingspan: 2.21 m
- Salary: $24.16 million (2018)
- Partner: Mariah Riddlesprigger
- Siblings: Alexis Antetokounmpo, Kostas Antetokounmpo, Francis Antetokounmpo, and Thanasis Antetokounmpo
#3: Blake Griffin
Blake Austin Griffin plays for the Detroit Pistons. He too is a professional basketball player who was born in the United States. Before venturing into professional basketball tournaments, he played college basketball for his Oklahoma Sooners. Owing to his excellence in the sporting activity, he was named the ‘Consensus National Player of the Year’ while in his second year of study.
- Born: 16 March 1989 (age 30 years)
- Birthplace: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
- Height: 2.08 m
- Dunking Height: 6 feet 10 inches (2.08 meters)
- NBA draft: 2009 / Round: 1 / Pick: 1st overall
- Playing career: 2009–present
- Current team: Detroit Pistons (#23 / Power forward, and Center)
- Parents: Tommy Griffin, Gail Griffin
- Movies: The Female Brain
- Children: Finley Elaine Griffin, and Ford Wilson Cameron-Griffin
#4: Dennis Smith Jr.
Similarly born in the United States, Dennis Smith Jr. is yet another professional basketball player. He is attached to the New York Knicks which is a member of the National Basketball Association. In 2016, Dennis Smith Jr. ranked among top point guards by many basketball recruiting services.
- Born: 25 November 1997 (age 21 years),
- Birthplace: Fayetteville, North Carolina, United States
- Height: 1.91 m
- Dunking Height: 6.27 feet
- Playing career: 2017–present
- Position: Point guard
- Playing career: 2017–present
- Current team: New York Knicks (#5 / Point guard, and shooting guard)
- School: North Carolina State University
- NBA draft: 2017, Dallas Mavericks (Round: 1 / Pick: 9)
#5: LeBron James
Wrapping up the list is LeBron James. He plays for the Los Angeles Lakers of the National Basketball Association. In his long and illustrious career, he achieved many heights. Among these are two Olympic gold medals, three ‘NBA Finals MVP Awards’, four ‘NBA Most Valuable Player Awards’, and three ‘NBA championships’.
- Born: 30 December 1984 (age 34 years),
- Birthplace: Akron, Ohio, United States
- Height: 2.03 m
- Wingspan: 7 feet
- Dunking Height: 6 feet, 8 inches
- Spouse: Savannah James
- Salary: $35.65 million (2018)
- Trivia: He is the fourth-highest-scoring NBA player. He has managed 32,543 points
Needless to say, the order of the top dunkers in the NBA is not constant in the long run. Indeed, each time, new players enter the list and some depart from it. We cannot hence guarantee that this order shall be maintained in the long run.
With regards to this, we ask that you keep referring to this page every now and then. We are of course always on the lookout for such variations. Given our passion and desire to fully satisfy our readers, we are never hesitant to update the order if and when the need be.