Nick Kyrgios Recalls the Times When He was Called a “Waste of Talent”

Published 03/17/2021, 8:00 AM EDT
Tennis – Australian Open – Melbourne Park, Melbourne, Australia, February 12, 2021 Australia’s Nick Kyrgios in action during his third round match against Austria’s Dominic Thiem REUTERS/Jaimi Joy


Maverick Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios has shared an inspiring message on Instagram, exhorting aspirants across fields not to succumb to negativity and keep driving forward in the quest for excellence.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

The burly 25-year-old from Canberra returned to competitive tennis at this year’s Australian Open after an indefinite break from the game.

Nick Kyrgios says one should never give in to negativity

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Kyrgios came out with his struggles with depression last year and kept himself out of action for months to rediscover his passion for the sport.

The Aussie tagged a picture of himself in one of his winning moments with a long message, saying disappointments and setbacks are inevitable bumps on the road to success.

He revealed a phase in his life when people around him tried to drag him down with negative and discouraging assessments about his game and career.

Kyrgios said that he could sense that his detractors did not have an understanding of the “struggles” that were in his “head”, but he didn’t let negativity break him.

“For those who have days when you don’t want to get out of bed, it’s OK,” the Aussie said, adding he has been places he’s “not proud of” but managed to fight his way back.

Kyrgios exhorts fans to do what makes them happy

Currently ranked 50th in singles, Kyrgios said that he’s had his detractors trying to put him down with phrases such as “waste of talent” and “disappointment”, but they couldn’t shake his resolve to return stronger than ever.

Urging one and all not to give in to external pulls and pressures, the Aussie wrote, “…enjoy this beautiful life in front of you, do what makes YOU happy. Don’t take this opportunity for granted.”

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA – FEBRUARY 12: Nick Kyrgios of Australia celebrates after winning a point in his Men’s Singles third round match against Dominic Thiem of Austria during day five of the 2021 Australian Open at Melbourne Park on February 12, 2021 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Daniel Pockett/Getty Images)

He asked his followers to “reach out” to him if they were feeling down, adding, “I’M HERE for you”.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Showing flashes of his best on his return, Kyrgios reached the third round of the Australian Open.

He drew reigning US Open champion Dominic Thiem in the battle for a place in the round-of-16. Roared on by a partisan crowd, the Aussie took the opening two sets but lost his way thereafter as Thiem recorded a brilliant comeback win.

DIVE DEEPER

“Was a Lonely, Dark Place”: Nick Kyrgios Reveals Struggles With Depression

6 months ago

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

 

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

Priyabrata Chowdhury

842 articles

Priyabrata Chowdhury is a tennis author for EssentiallySports. He has been a print journalist for a decade, producing news pages for leading national dailies such as the Hindustan Times and The New Indian Express. His passion for sports eventually drove him to tennis writing.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT