Novak Djokovic Shouldn’t Have Put Forward his Demands at Australian Open 2021, Says Tennis Legend

Published 01/18/2021, 1:37 PM EST
Novak Djokovic of Serbia cries after his match against Alexander Zverev of Germany on June 14, during the 3rd day of Summer Adria Tour, 2020 in Belgrade, Serbia. (Photo by Nikola Krstic/MB Media/Getty Images)


World No.1 Novak Djokovic has been in the news lately for submitting a list of demands to Craig Tiley, CEO of Tennis Australia. The Serbian legend seemed quite unhappy with Australian Open 2021 organizers and wrote a letter to Tiley. He mentioned the difficulties that players were facing under the quarantine protocols. However, Djokovic has received criticism for his letter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Tennis Australia recently rejected all the demands of Djokovic and put them aside. Earlier, Djokovic also raised questions about the management’s decision of two different quarantines for different players as he didn’t actually like the idea.

Recently, tennis legend Todd Woodbridge expressed his opinion on Djokovic’s letter. According to him, Djokovic should not have gone to Tiley straight away.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

“I mean, look, health is going to determine what was happening. So, going to Craig wasn’t going to be right anyway. He couldn’t make those decisions. I tell you what, we would have to go searching for a lot of tennis courts in the backyard to be able to host all those players here in Melbourne. There’s no doubt about that,” said Woodbridge in a recent interview.

Woodbridge believes that Tiley is certainly not the right person to talk about quarantine restrictions. He also advocated the management and said that there was a need for quarantine in two different places since there were not that many courts available in either Adelaide or Melbourne.

DIVE DEEPER

Nick Kyrgios Labels Novak Djokovic a ‘Tool’ for His Demands to Australian Open 2021 Organizers

5 months ago

“They’ll be looked after”: Todd Woodbridge tries to assure Novak Djokovic that all the players will be fine at the Grand Slam

Novak Djokovic of Serbia plays a forehand in his Men’s Singles first-round match against Philipp Kohlschreiber. Day one of The Championships – Wimbledon 2019 at All England Lawn Tennis in London, England. (Photo by Shaun Botterill/Getty Images)

Woodbridge also tried to convince Djokovic that everything would be fine and players wouldn’t face any sort of difficulty during the Grand Slam.

“If it was about food and other things, well, look, they’ll be looked after. If they need more food, they’ll get more food. That’s not an issue,” added the former Australian player.

The legend also highlighted that the management was doing a great job. He further said that the players would be really happy once the tournament would get over.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

“I know that the team at TA (Tennis Australia) would be doing absolutely everything to help these players,” concluded the 49-year-old.

Woodbridge is certainly hopeful of witnessing some great tennis in Australia in 2021. Fans also hope that they get to watch their favorite players back in action as soon as possible.

 

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

 

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

Anshul Singh

957 articles

Anshul Singh is a tennis author at EssentiallySports, currently pursuing Journalism Honors from Delhi University. Having significant experience with content, Anshul has authored over 500 tennis articles. He has previously worked as a writer and an editor for DU Express, penning riveting articles on sports, politics, and culture.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT