feature-image
feature-image

There will be a belt on the line for the Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr. exhibition fight.

Watch What’s Trending Now!

The World Boxing Council, in a statement, said that the fighters will compete for the ‘Frontline Battle Belt.’ The fight will take place on November 28 and will feature other fights, including YouTuber Jake Paul vs Nate Robinson. However, this event got more exciting with the latest announcement regarding the belt.

ADVERTISEMENT

article-image

In a fight where both legends of the sport are coming back, many fans are skeptical. Despite all the training videos of both fighters, there are still doubts about the fight.

ADVERTISEMENT

The WBC has now given a little more bite to the contest with the addition of the belt. Ariel Helwani was the first to report the news.

ADVERTISEMENT

On his Twitter, the reputed combat sports journalist tweeted, “Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr. will be competing for the WBC Frontline Battle Belt, I’m told.” He then posted a picture of the belt for which the two legends will battle it out.

ADVERTISEMENT

article-image

Helwani also revealed the scoring system for the fight.

ADVERTISEMENT

“WBC’s remote scoring system will evaluate Tyson and Jones Jr.’s performance. Three champions will serve as the judges. Each round will be scored and announced to the public. California State Athletic Commission will oversee, regulate, and sanction.”

ADVERTISEMENT

This is an interesting prospect for the controversial topic of scoring in the sport. They are yet to confirm the three champions, but announcing the scores after each round is something very new. While MMA fans have already witnessed open-scoring, boxing fans are yet to taste it.

Other details about the Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr. boxing event

The Canadian journalist also confirmed that both fighters will adhere to doping regulations. He said:

ADVERTISEMENT

Both fighters are also voluntarily participating in the clean boxing program with anti-doping testing through the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association.”

ADVERTISEMENT

This will make for a better contest between the two. It also ensures that the fighters will have responsibility for the event.

The biggest take away from these statements is that this fight is not just an exhibition. The WBC is trying everything they can to make sure it is a proper boxing event.

Although, much to Floyd Mayweather‘s dismay, this may be yet another belt in boxing. However, this gives credibility to the event, and it is up to the boxers to deliver on the day. Everything is in place for a successful event at the moment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Leonardo Carvalho

1,042 Articles

Leonardo Carvalho is a Boxing Writer for EssentiallySports. Before working as a boxing web journalist, Leonardo dabbled in roles ranging from an SEO specialist to a Chegg expert. Alongside his current role, Leonardo runs a YouTube channel where he combines his passion for fitness with sports. The latter is a discipline in which he holds a level 3 certification from the British Council's Premier Skills. He has covered some of the biggest boxing stories over the last year. These include Mike Tyson's comeback and Teofimo Lopez's ascent to the pinnacle of the lightweight division. This boxing enthusiast's tryst with the sport began when his favorite puncher, Anthony Joshua, knocked out Wladimir Klitschko to become the heavyweight champion. While he still admires 'AJ', he has developed a deep admiration for 'Sweethands' Caleb Plant. Besides his professional pursuits, Leonardo is an avid musician who is proficient with the guitar and the ukulele.

Know more

ADVERTISEMENT