Ryan Garcia Makes a Shocking Announcement, Pulls Out of July 9 Fight With Javier Fortuna

Published 04/24/2021, 2:58 PM EDT
DALLAS, TEXAS – JANUARY 02: Ryan Garcia celebrates with Oscar de la Hoya after his victory against Luke Campbell for WBC Interim Lightweight Championship at American Airlines Center on January 02, 2021 in Dallas, Texas. (Photo by Tom Hogan/Golden Boy Promotions via Getty Images)


WBC Interim lightweight champion Ryan Garcia will no longer fight Javier Fortuna on July 9th, putting the 135 lbs matchup up into massive jeopardy. The 22-year-old has turned to social media and has backed out from the fight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

While Garcia has claimed to stage a return soon, he has also explained the reason for his departure. As the young champion says, he might not have peaked.

So, Garcia has vowed to return only when he feels to have attained his prime. He posted a picture of himself on Instagram and left an emotional message to his fans.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Ryan Garcia penned in the caption, “I know this news may be disappointing to some of my fans but I am announcing today that I am withdrawing from my July 9th fight. At this time it is important to manage my health and wellbeing.

“I have decided to take some time off to focus on becoming a stronger version of myself. I hope to be back soon and am looking forward to stepping back into the ring when I am my healthiest self, I want to Thank God, my family, my doctors, and my supporters.”

Golden Boy Promotions’ event on July 9th is now out of a headliner. Meanwhile, Javier Fortuna is also left without an opponent, and promoter Oscar De La Hoya might have to rush to bring a stellar replacement for Ryan Garcia.

It has already been a twisted journey for the Interim champ in selecting his next opponent. So, his exit from the recent fight might complicate things.

DIVE DEEPER

Christopher Diaz’s Wife, Family, and Tough Times

15 days ago

Ryan Garcia came from Gervonta Davis, Manny Pacquiao to no contender

Following a successful Interim title win over Luke Campbell in January, Garcia called out WBA 135lbs champion Gervonta Davis. ‘KingRy’ appeared adamant on facing ‘Tank’ as he transitioned the callout into verbal banter on Mike Tyson’s Podcast.

However, the matchup fell off as Garcia began promoting a possible matchup against Octuple champion Manny Pacquiao. Although the matchup seemed uncanny, Ryan Garcia mentioned it to be official before the fight talks faded away.

Meanwhile, Gervonta Davis had already scheduled a fight with WBA’s regular 140lbs champion Mario Barrios by then.

Nevertheless, Garcia was mandatory to Devin Haney’s WBC belt. But the Interim champion expressed no interest in facing ‘The Dream’.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Amid so many lucrative options, Garcia went ahead to compete in a title eliminator against Javier Fortuna. That said, it seems he would require some more time and preparation before re-appearing in action.

When do you think will Ryan Garcia return?

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

DIVE DEEPER

“Ain’t Nobody Beat Him” – Evander Holyfield Recognizes the Level of Danger Tyson Fury Brings to the Table

15 days ago

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

Raj Sarkar

1636 articles

A senior boxing writer at EssentiallySports, Raj Sarkar is a mass media graduate who is currently pursuing his master’s degree in broadcast journalism. In addition to his current role, he has worked with the MMA team at EssentiallySports and has interviewed prominent fighters such as Ritu Phogat and 'The Red King' Rory MacDonald. He combined his bachelor's degree with his adoration for combat sports and has a combined 2000 plus bylines in MMA and boxing over the last two years.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT