What Is Dillian Whyte’s Position in the Title Ride? WBC President Says There’s No Mandatory Contender

Published 07/03/2021, 1:05 PM EDT
LONDON, ENGLAND – MARCH 24: Dillian Whyte celebrates his sixth round knockout victory over Lucas Browne during their WBC Silver Heavyweight Championship at The O2 Arena on March 24, 2018 in London, England. (Photo by Dan Mullan/Getty Images)


Despite holding the WBC Interim heavyweight title, Dillian Whyte doesn’t look relevant in the ongoing championship picture. ‘The Body Snatcher’ has been deprived of his mandatory world title shot which now Deontay Wilder will relish against Tyson Fury on July 24. However, the situation may not develop for Whyte, even after Fury vs Wilder 3.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

The winner of the fight may carry forward to unify all four heavyweight belts. That said, WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman didn’t mention a mandatory contender from his organization.

Although Interim title-holder is considered mandatory, Sulaiman could have possibly missed out on Dillian Whyte.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Speaking with Behind The Gloves, the WBC President revealed how Deontay Wilder bagged his third fight against Tyson Fury and the other factors surrounding the WBC world heavyweight title.

Mauricio Sulaiman said, “When Deontay Wilder lost his title to Tyson Fury last year the rankings committee positioned him in number one. He was a champion for five years, had 10 title defenses. So, by merit, they positioned him as the number one contender. And this fight is the result of an agreement that they had signed for the second fight.”

He added, “So the WBC at this moment has no mandatory contender and we are just sanctioning the bout as a voluntary defense for Tyson Fury.”

Meanwhile, the top-tier boxers have thoroughly overlooked Dillian Whyte in the pro-ride. The Brit boxer has called out Wilder and Fury several times. However, none of them have shown interest. So, that still leaves Whyte with no official contender.

DIVE DEEPER

“I Am Moving for Deontay Wilder”- Tyron Woodley Reveals Why He Wants Tyson Fury to Lose

29 days ago

Dillian Whyte- ‘The Body Snatcher’ and his moves

Following a sensational stoppage over Alexander Povetkin, Whyte is still looking for the next big fight. However, Matchroom Promotions can stage him in the right matchups.

But following a legendary run, Dillian Whyte needs a world title shot now. The current championship ride may not reflect the same. However, another title eliminator can put his WBC Interim spot at stake.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA – DECEMBER 06: Dillian Whyte poses as he weighs in ahead of the Heavyweight fight between Dillian Whyte and Mariusz Wach during the Clash on the Dunes Weigh In at the the Al Faisaliah Hotel on December 06, 2019 in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. (Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images)

On his first fight against Povetkin, Whyte suffered a horrific loss. However, he could turn the tables in the rematch.

Now, American boxer Charles Martin has called out Whyte for an in-ring scrap, as he similarly looks for relevancy in the title journey. However, Whyte is yet to finalize a call from his side. So, only time can determine the best step for Dillian Whyte.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Watch This Story: 5 Times Professional Boxers Displayed The Best Head Movements

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

Raj Sarkar

2090 articles

A senior boxing writer at EssentiallySports, Raj Sarkar is a mass media graduate who is currently pursuing his master’s degree in broadcast journalism. In addition to his current role, he has worked with the MMA team at EssentiallySports and has interviewed prominent fighters such as Ritu Phogat and 'The Red King' Rory MacDonald. He combined his bachelor's degree with his adoration for combat sports and has a combined 2000 plus bylines in MMA and boxing over the last two years.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

essentiallysports's Stories