‘Don’t ask me till January’, said MS Dhoni on Wednesday. With this, he has finally broken the silence on his retirement talks as well. He has taken an indefinite break from cricket ever since India lost to New Zealand in the ICC World cup semi-final in July which has fuelled the speculation about his future in the game. “January tak mat poocho (don’t ask me till January),” said Dhoni at an event before the obvious questions on his career could even be thrown at him.
On Tuesday, a source close to him saidthat he will take a call on his future after next year’s Indian Premier League (IPL). MS Dhoni has missed the tour of the West Indies and the home series against South Africa and Bangladesh respectively. Moreover, he will miss the limited-overs home series against the West Indies starting from December 6 and comprising three T20 Internationals and as many One Day Internationals.
However, National selection committee chairman MSK Prasad has already said that they have “moved on” and MS Dhoni is also aware of its intent that they have been focusing on the youngsters such as Rishabh Pant while keeping an eye in the next year’s T20 World Cup in Australia.
Recently, MS Dhoni was seen training with Jharkhand’s under-23 team in Ranchi a couple of days back which once again made the fresh round of speculation on his possible comeback. BCCI President Sourav Ganguly, on the other hand, has said earlier that Dhoni will get the respect that a player of his calibre deserves and he had also ruled out the immediate retirement news as well.
“You know champions don’t finish quickly,” Sourav Ganguly had shared when he took over as the Board President last month.
One of the stalwarts of Indian cricket, MS Dhoni led India to the two world cup titles — the 2007 World T20 in South Africa and the 2011 ODI World Cup at home. He successfully led his Indian Premier league (IPL) franchise Chennai Super Kings (CSK) to the title thrice as well.