The news of Fernando Alonso’s return to F1 with Renault, probably wouldn’t have pleased Sebastian Vettel. Especially after hearing what the Renault boss had to say. The 4-time world champion remains without a drive for 2021 and his options for a seat are dwindling.
Obviously, his performance in the season opener wouldn’t have helped his cause. However, the German isn’t giving up hope, nor is he ruling out a return to the team with whom he won four Drivers’ championship titles.
Vettel stated the above in Thursday’s virtual driver press conference, ahead of the Styrian Grand Prix. He spoke about his relationship with the Red Bull team and said that he would love to return if an offer was on the table.
He said, “They are a very strong team, I know how strong they are from the past.
“I know why they were strong back then, and they are still a contender. It’s a car that you can win races in, so for sure that would be interesting.
“As I said, it’s a winning car, and as I said earlier, I’m here to compete and here to win. So probably the answer would be yes.”
Red Bull, along with Mercedes, AlphaTauri, Alfa Romeo, and Williams are the only teams who haven’t confirmed their driver lineup for next season.
You could probably exclude Mercedes from this list, after Daimler’s head, Ola Kallenius hinted that Valtteri Bottas and Lewis Hamilton will continue in 2021. Among the quartet that’s left, Vettel choosing Red Bull would be a no brainer.
However, Vettel’s full focus at the moment will be on his current season with Ferrari. He had a horrendous race at Spielberg last week. He failed to get out of Q2 and started the race in P11. But things only got worse during the race.
The German spun while chasing McLaren’s Carlos Sainz and dropped to 15th place, luckily for him, he finished among the points in P10 due to several other drivers ahead of him dropping out of the race.
However, he’ll get his shot at redemption this week on the very same track. He’ll be hoping to seize the chance with both hands.