“There’s a Home for Him”: 4x Champ Sebastian Vettel Invited to Renowned American Racing Series Amid F1 Retirement

Published 08/05/2022, 6:30 PM EDT
NORTHAMPTON, ENGLAND – JULY 15: Sebastian Vettel of Germany and Aston Martin F1 Team looks on as the prototype for the 2022 F1 season is unveiled during previews ahead of the F1 Grand Prix of Great Britain at Silverstone on July 15, 2021 in Northampton, England. (Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images)

The F1 world went into a frenzy when Sebastian Vettel announced his retirement from the sport. The German driver drew the curtains on an illustrious 16-year-long career. However, the motor sporting world isn’t willing to let him go.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

IndyCar driver and son of team owner Bobby Rahal, Graham Rahal, has once again extended his invitation to Vettel to test or race in IndyCar. Vettel had previously picked the Road America track over the Miami GP track, which led to Graham tweeting out to him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Additionally, while speaking to the Race at Indianapolis last weekend, Rahal assured that the offer still stands after Vettel’s retirement. He said, “It’s open anytime he wants to try and maybe he wants to come race, I’m sure we can find a way to do it.”

He goes on to add, “if he wants to come try it, look, I’m sure there’s a seat, there’s a home for him. In many ways, we’re gearing up to look at a fourth [car] in the future anyway. So, not saying he wants to do it full-time, but if he wants to come try it, he certainly can.”

Could the fans see Vettel racing in the IndyCar scene anytime soon? Who knows? However, the signs look positive with Vettel, yet to decide his future, leaving the door open for a potential stint elsewhere.

Sebastian Vettel keeps his options open after F1 retirement

The 4-time world champion announced that he will leave F1 at the end of the 2022 season. However, Vettel has been cryptic about his plans after this. He has kept everyone guessing by keeping the door open for racing elsewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Formula One F1 – Monaco Grand Prix – Circuit de Monaco, Monte Carlo, Monaco – May 29, 2022 Aston Martin’s Sebastian Vettel ahead of the race REUTERS/Benoit Tessier

The German said, “Obviously, age-wise it’s not a problem to do anything else and to do more in Formula 1.” 

He went on to add, “Time will tell. It’s probably the fairest answer I can give right now. If I want to race something, I’m sure I’ll be able to think of something”

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Watch This Story: In Pictures Lewis Hamilton Fernando Alonso Are the Last Men Standing as Sebastian Vettel Exit Marks the End of Iconic F1 Era

Vettel said he will take his time and evaluate his options. Additionally, with this renewed invitation by Graham Rahal, Vettel could perhaps be looking toward the IndyCar scene.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

ADVERTISEMENT

Divyansh Priyadarshi

271 articles

Divyansh Priyadarshi is an F1 Author at EssentiallySports. He is currently pursuing his under-graduation in computer science engineering and is naturally drawn to the intriguing data-driven world of Formula 1. Being an author at ES isn't his first stint in penning down thoughts for his favorite sports, as he has a solid prior background in writing content for soccer, NBA, and UFC.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT