The ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 is upon us as the quadrennial event begins on May 30 with the hosts, England playing South Africa in the opener. This is the 12th edition of the extravaganza event of cricket.
History of ICC Cricket World Cup
The ICC Cricket World Cup was inaugurated in 1975 with England hosting the first three events in 1975, 1979 and 1983. Previously, the world cup was played 60-over a side but from 1992, the format was changed to 50-overs per side. Also, the white color jersey was diminished and colorful Jersey was brought in the 1992 edition.
ICC Cricket World Cup 2019: Past Records
- Sachin Tendulkar scores 2278 runs from 1992 World Cup to 2011 ICC World Cup, which is the most by any batsman in the world cups.
- Australia is the only team who has won 3 consecutive ICC World Cups in 1999, 2003 and 2007 editions.
- Glenn Mcgrath sent 71 batsmen to the pavilion in the world cups. He has taken the most wickets in the history of the ICC World Cups. He also has the record of most wickets in a single edition of the ICC World Cup with 26 wickets. McGrath has the best bowling figures in the world cups with taking 7 wickets and giving only 15 runs in a match.
- Ricky Ponting took 28 catches in the ICC World Cup, most by any player in the history of the world cup.
- Kumar Sangakkara has a record of 54 dismissals by a wicketkeeper in the ICC World Cup event.
- Martin Guptill holds a record of the highest individual score in the history of the ICC World Cup. He scored 237 runs against West Indies in ICC Cricket World Cup 2015.
- Australia holds the record of 5 ICC World Cup titles and has the highest winning percentage in the world cup equaling 75%.
ICC Cricket World Cup 2019
The ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 is the 12th edition of the ICC World Cup which started in the year of 1975. The 2019 edition of the ICC Cricket World Cup is scheduled from May 30 to July 14. England and Wales are the hosts of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019. This is the 5th time when England and Wales are hosting the ICC Cricket World Cup.
ICC Cricket World Cup 2019: Format
The format of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 will be a single group of 10 teams, with each team playing every team once and the top four teams after the completion of the Round-robin round will qualify for the semifinals.
ICC Cricket World Cup 2019: Teams
The number of teams participating at the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 reduced to 10 from 14 teams. It will be the first time that all the test playing nations are not participating in the ICC Cricket World Cup. The ten teams participating in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 are:
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Sri Lanka
- West Indies
ICC Cricket World Cup 2019: Match Officials
The match officials selected for the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 includes umpires from Australia, India, England, New Zealand, Pakistan, and South Africa. The ICC also announced 6 match referee apart from the umpires.
ICC Cricket World Cup 2019: Prize Money
The winner team of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 takes away 4 Million US Dollars. While the runner-ups take 2 Million US Dollars. The team’s reaching the semifinals but couldn’t make it to the finals will be awarded 8 Hundred Thousand US Dollars each. The teams winning each match in the group stages gets 40,000 US Dollars each. The teams knocked out of the league stages of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 gets 1 Hundred Thousand US Dollars.
ICC Cricket World Cup 2019: Broadcasters
ICC provides a wide range of platforms to watch the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 live all over the World. Hers is the list of the official broadcasting partners of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019:
- Fox Sports & Channel 9- Australia
- ESPN- Barbados, Bermuda, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago.
- Star Cricket– Hong Kong
- Fox International Channels– Malaysia
- OSN– the Middle East & North Africa
- SKY Sport- New Zealand
- Star Cricket, Star Hub and Singtel- Singapore
- SuperSport- Sub Saharan Africa & South Africa
- Star Sports 1, Star Sports HD1, Star Sports 2, Star Sports HD2, Star Sports 3, Star Sports HD3-India
- Doordarshan- India
ICC Cricket World Cup 2019: Predictions
Australia has conquered the World Cup title 5 times and the team has got on track after a major setback last year. While Team England have some advantage and a strong team to count on. India has been one of the best teams in the last two years. The team has a strong combination of experienced and young talented players. England and India are more likely to reach the finals of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019.
MBA tech grad.| Sports enthusiast| Writer by passion