Conor McGregor Could Be Forced to Sell Proper Twelve Irish Whiskey Shares to Partner

Published 03/03/2021, 11:45 AM EST
NEW YORK, NY – SEPTEMBER 20: Conor McGregor speaks at the UFC 229 press conference at Radio City Music Hall on September 20, 2018 in New York, NY. McGregor will face UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov in the main event on October 6, 2018 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Ed Mulholland/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images)


Conor McGregor is not just a fighter, but a very shrewd businessman. He is one of the richest athletes on the planet because of how strategically he built his brand. A crucial component of that brand was creating his own brand of Irish Whiskey, Proper Twelve. The whiskey has been featured on UFC cards before, but Conor may be losing control of it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Becle, the company that currently owns 49% of Proper Twelve mentioned in their 2020 year-end report that they have the option of buying out Conor McGregor. His Eire Born Spirits (EBS) currently owns the other 51% of Proper Twelve, but will lose it as the Mexican company is using the option to buy out their partners.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

“The Company has a call option to acquire 51% of the equity interests of EBS. According to IFRS 9 and IAS 32, as of December 31, 2020, the 51% option is classified and measured as an asset (financial instrument) on the consolidated statement of financial position and is classified and measured at Fair Value through Profit and Loss (FVTPL).”

A Becle spokesperson confirmed the deal to Wine and Spirits Daily. This may have massive ramifications for Conor and his brand.

Conor McGregor: Losing a massive part of his brand?

ABU DHABI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES – JANUARY 21. Conor McGregor of Ireland interacts with media during the. UFC 257 press conference event inside Etihad Arena on UFC Fight Island on January 21, 2021 in Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. (Photo by Jeff Bottari/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images)

Conor McGregor has used the success of Proper Twelve to further promote himself. It was a nice change in MMA to see someone like ‘The Notorious’ have major ownership of a brand like Proper Twelve. The whiskey was doing well, and a lot of its sales were based on Conor’s association with the brand.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

While Conor is losing the whiskey brand to Becle, the end of his association with the Proper Twelve is yet to be confirmed. Conor will most likely stay involved, as his value is obvious, and Becle would not let him just leave the brand.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Whether Proper Twelve is bought out or not, Conor will be fine. He has plenty of avenues to own or run another major business venture. While this was more personal to Conor, it doesn’t seem like it is all doom-and-gloom for the Irish fighter.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

Ishaan Bhattacharya

1510 articles

Ishaan Bhattacharya is an NBA, NCAA Basketball, and Combat Sports writer at EssentiallySports. Currently, Ishaan is pursuing a Post Graduate Degree in Journalism from Xavier's Institute of Communication. Previously, Ishaan has written for The Indian Express, The Quint, Sportskeeda, and WrestleClub.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT