Paris Saint-Germain superstar Neymar has been relieved from all charges after a Brazilian judge dismissed the rape case against the footballer citing insufficient evidence.
Neymar had been accused of raping a Brazilian model named Najila Trindade in a Paris hotel in May. The 26-year-old vehemently denied the allegations as he uploaded a video on Instagram to confront his fans directly.
Judge Ana Paula Vieira de Moraes, however, “accepted prosecutors recommendations and demanded the case be dismissed,” the court spokesman told AFP.
Prosecutor Flavia Merlini claimed that the victim had provided no conclusive evidence of rape against Neymar, saying, “What happened between four walls is impossible to know, we have her word against his. We have decided to ask for the closure of the case.”
However, she also stated that the dismissal of the case does result in an acquittal for the 27-year-old, instead, it could be reopened at any junction if new evidence emerges.
Neymar took to Instagram to express his feelings after the court verdict. “This has been a stage in my life I’ll never forget for many reasons. Mainly for the damage it has caused me, my family and the people who really know me,” he wrote.
“If I’m being honest, I can’t say I’m happy, more relieved. This scar will remind me that human beings can do good things, but also the worst. This scar will remind me that human beings can do good things, but also the worst,” he continued.
“Yes, my world has come crashing down and hit the ground. But as a jiu-jitsu legend once said: the ground is the final of everything, but for us it’s just the beginning.”
Neymar ended his letter by extending support to every woman out there who has been a victim of the heinous crime. “I hope it isn’t just a new beginning for me but for all those who have suffered from false accusations and, above all, for every woman who has been a victim such an act. I wish for them to be strong, to fight and to achieve everything they deserve to. As always, thank you God for everything.”
Neymar has also been linked with a move away from the French champions after an injury-ridden 2018/19 campaign as he made only 17 appearances in the Ligue 1. The Brazilian winger reportedly wants a return to Barcelona, however, arch-rivals Real Madrid are also interested in landing the world’s most expensive player.
The La Liga giants have less than a month to make an offer for Neymar before the Spanish transfer window deadline on September 2.
Neymar’s father has stated that his son has become a stronger person and is rearing for next season. ”My son has not played football for a while because of the injury that has kept him out since June, but during that time he has acquired great strength to overcome problems,” Neymar Sr. said.
“Life and football have taught him how to be a stronger person during moments of difficulty. He’ll be back out on the field soon. As his father, it’s a pleasure to see my son playing football. It makes me feel very proud. He’ll be happy once he starts enjoying his football again,” he added.
Neymar could feature for Paris Saint-Germain in their 2019/20 Ligue 1 opener against Nimes after he missed his side’s Trophee des Champions win over Rennes last Saturday.