Epic Games poster game Fortnite was released back in 2017 as a third-person tactical shooter and it was just what Battle Royale fans needed. For years now, it has been known as a shooting adventure, especially for its Battle Royale mode. And the popularity has only grown since, thanks to all the efforts by developer, Epic Games. This has helped bring an exhilarating lineup of collaborations and celebrity features to the Fortnite island.
The Epic Games classic lets the players explore an open-world environment where the purpose is to survive against other characters (skins) through constant combat and some light-hearted graphical violence which has appealed to a lot of young gamers. The arsenal and combat essentials in the open world have only evolved with time and players have been introduced to new innovative load-outs, essentials, features, and movements from time to time. Let's have a look at how Fortnite has progressed as the biggest ‘third-person-shooter Battle Royale since its infamous launch in 2017.
In contrast to other multiplayer games, Fortnite features a single, sizable map that is exclusive to that season. In actuality, you won't likely run into too many other players early on in the game. But as the game goes on, a ring on the map gradually gets closer to the center. Your character will perish if you are discovered outside the ring.
Fortnite is comparable to games like PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds and Apex Legends. It does, however, have one special quality. In Fortnite, you can build constructions with your character as you go. In the game, this lets you place traps, construct forts, and provide cover. Further, in contrast to other battle royale games, Fortnite requires you to become an expert shooter and builder.
It all took off with the Zero Point or as the game calls it The Big Bang which created the universe spawning in trillions of different realities and among all these alternative realities was the center reality zero aka the Fortnite island. This is the home of the zero point, an island that it created to protect itself from any threat. Well, it worked for a while until a mysterious group called the imagined order found out about it and decided to move to the island.
The group created a whole bunch of secret underground bases which they could access through the bunkers. The secret society used Zero point energy to create a loop that forces people to fight against each other for 22 minutes and then it resets their memory. The IO group are the ones looking after the island and keeping everything in order. However, the twist begins when there are multiple attacks on the island by different enemies seeking zero-point energy.
The storyline starts before the time of Battle Royale when Dr Vindermann, the scientist, finds out about some crazy advancements in the science lab called the Vindertech. He was also the creator of V bucks, Battle Pass and all the weapons players can access on the island. Before Season 3, no player was aware of the loop on the island. Also, the original default skins were actually the snapshots of the agents of IO, later explained in the storyline.
On May 1st, 2018, the Fortnite world witnessed its first attack when the meteor struck the center of the map destroying Dusty Divot and the factors while smaller meteors destroyed other structures on the island.
The impact also introduced hop rocks, which players could consume to experience low gravity effects. Following this event, the narrative continued to evolve with subsequent seasons. The Zero Point became a central element, leading to events like the butterfly event, the Nexus War, and the ongoing struggle against the Loop. Each season brought new story elements, collaborations, and changes to the Fortnite island.
An official character of the cube, commonly referred to as “Kevin” proved its vitality in Fortnite’s plot. The smoke monster has been featured since season five when a huge crack opened up in the sky and released it into the island. Therefore, the cube moved across the map creating Runes and visiting diverse places. While traveling, the cube switched on Loot Lake, which turned it into a floating one. Ultimately it melted into the lake forming whirlpools taking players to another world. Subsequently, it continued to serve as a center stage in season six where “butterfly” was organized and the cube recurred in other shapes in succeeding seasons.
The mysterious nature behind the cube helped to add mystique and magic to the Fortnite storyline. It also ensured that the events on the island were shaped by the presence of this cube.
Subsequently, Fortnite went on with its storyline which involved different scenarios. At this point, the ZERO PT was made central as The Seven, an ensemble of guys trying to keep the multiverse stable, came into play. This story unfolded in the Butterfly event in Season 6, depicting the clash of various powers.
The Foundation was added in subsequent seasons and became key during the Zero Crisis Finale that kicked off Chapter 2, Season 6. IO turned out to be one of the major forces struggling with the disorder caused by the Zero Point.
There were further happenings like the season when the “IO” forces invaded and introduced the cube queen whom they had been fighting a continuous war on the loop.
These two events opened up a whole new realm of possibilities to the island bringing collisions of different universes across the globe to the island. A huge advantage these two attacks on Zero Energy brought was the liberty to bring on many top-tier collaborations to the game.
As mentioned earlier, a lot of the limelight Fortnite enjoys is attributed to the top-tier lineup of collaborations that have been introduced in the game throughout. From unexpected Easter eggs to some big celebrity skins, there's a never-ending lineup that fans can look back on to celebrate the branding of Fortnite. Let us look at some of the collaborations that still remain the most memorable of all.
- Infinity Gauntlet (LTM)/ Avengers Infinity War: Season 4
- NFL Cosmetics: Season 6
- Marshmello Bundle: Season 7
- Endgame Limited Time Mode/ Avengers Endgame: Season 8
- John Wick Chapter 3: Season 9
- Ninja: Chapter 2 Season 1
- Deadpool: Chapter 2 Season 2
- Tenet: Chapter 2 Season 3
- The Flash: Chapter 2 Season 5
- Neymar Jr.: Chapter 2 Season 6
- NBA: Chapter 2 Season 6
- Naruto: Chapter 2 Season 8
- Spider-Man: Chapter 3 Season 1
- John Cena: Chapter 3 Season 3
- MrBeast: Chapter 4 Season 1
- Alan Wake: Chapter 4 Season 4
- Invincible: Chapter 4 Season OG
The most recent collaborations include Lewis Hamilton and Stranger Things for the OG Chapter. Also, if the rumors are to be trusted a LEGO collaboration would be following Eminem's Big Bang event.
Fortnite offers various game modes catering to different playstyles:
- Fortnite Battle Royale: The most popular mode where 100 players compete to be the last one standing. The game features a shrinking play zone, and players must gather resources, and weapons, and build structures to survive.
- Creative: A sandbox mode allowing players to build and create their own islands, games, and experiences. It provides a wide range of tools and assets for players to express their creativity.
- Fortnite Save the World: A co-op player-vs-environment (PvE) mode where players team up to fight against waves of zombie-like creatures. This mode involves resource gathering, building structures, and completing objectives.
- People's Voice Award for Best Multiplayer/Competitive Game (Webby Awards)
- Best Ongoing Game (Critics Award)
- Choice Video Game (Teen Choice Awards)
- Best Game (BBC)
- Best Competitive Game (Golden Joystick Awards)
- Ultimate Game of the Year
- Best Multiplayer Game (TGA)
- Best Ongoing Game (TGA)
- Gamers Choice Awards Fan Favorite Game
- Online Game of the Year (D.I.C.E. Awards)
- Evolving Game (British Academy Awards)
- Famitsu Excellence Prize
- Best Competitive Game (Webby Awards)
- eSports Game of the Year (Golden Joystick Award)
- Best Ongoing Game (TGA)
Game of the Year 2020 (Galaxy Store Awards)
- 1,304,242 are currently active in the game at the time of writing.
- 5,753,819 is the current 24-hour peak.
- 6,172,463 is the lifetime peak for the game that was achieved 22 days back.
It is important to note that the promising numbers have witnessed a huge spike due to the hype built around the OG chapter.
Notable Fortnite Streamers
Some of the notable Fortnite streamers that have made their mark in the streaming community by showcasing their talent in the Battle Royale are:
- Nick eh 30