Home/UFC

via Imago

via Imago

0
  Debate

Debate

Nate Diaz fought Masvidal injured—Is this sheer determination or reckless bravery?

There are very few fighters in the UFC who have had the longevity of Nate Diaz. The 39-year-old has fought some of the best in the business and entertained the fans inside the Octagon. He is all set to take on his former rival Jorge Masvidal in a boxing clash on July 6. The pair has had a bit of history, as they previously fought each other at UFC 244. However, not many know that Diaz was injured before his fight. While speaking to Demetrious Johnson, he shared the details of his injury. Diaz also pointed out how Donald Trump played a vital role in the fight.

It was the year 2019 when Nate Diaz fought Jorge Masvidal for the first BMF title. Diaz lost the fight because of a doctor’s stoppage as he faced a cut over his eye. During the buildup to the fight, Diaz tore his meniscus, which not many are aware of. Before his boxing clash with ‘Gamebred’, he sat down for a chat with Demetrious Johnson on the latter’s YouTube channel. He pointed out how he suffered an injury during his preparation, “I was f**ked up when I fought Masvidal. I tore my meniscus two weeks before I fought him.”

The 39-year-old has never pulled out of a fight in his career and has fought in most uncomfortable situations. However, this time it was Donald Trump who motivated him to turn up for the clash. He added, “I couldn’t even walk. I didn’t even know I tore my meniscus. I was training, and I was like dude I could hardly even walk and I was like hell no we’re going here. It was Madison Square Garden headlining in it. Donald Trump came through.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

“Think that was the first president ever been at the UFC. And I was like, yeah right, I’m going to that fight. And I went in there and fought that,” Diaz concluded. However, it is now a matter of the past and he is now focusing on his upcoming boxing bout against his longtime rival, Jorge Masvidal.

What’s your reaction?

Did Donald Trump just inspire Nate Diaz to fight through a serious injury? React!

Reactions

via Imago

The fight is scheduled for 10 rounds, and both fighters are looking to score a win in the upcoming battle. Both Masvidal and Diaz are fairly new to boxing with only one fight under their belt. But it seems they are eyeing a return to the UFC after trying their hands at boxing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Jorge Masvidal and Nate Diaz might return to MMA soon

It seems the love for MMA is far from over for both the fighters and they might make a return soon. Currently, Masvidal is under contract with the UFC and has been allowed to participate in three boxing fights. However, once his three fights are over, he will be returning to the UFC again, as revealed by him. The 39-year-old sat down for a chat with ‘The Count’ before his boxing clash. ‘Gamebred’ was asked about his future and he was quick to answer, “Back to the UFC, back to the UFC.” 

He further shared the details of his contract and said, “They said one of the conditions is that I come back and do one fight for them in the UFC. So that’s the plan. Come back. Definitely do another fight.” On the other hand, Diaz is still a free agent, but it seems the UFC has offered him a contract. After his UFC 279 fight, Diaz decided not to re-sign his contract and became a free agent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

The latest tweet by Rueben Carter, however, points at something else. He shared a tweet that read, “The UFC have approached Nate Diaz about a potential return to the company after his fight against Jorge Masvidal.” It will now be interesting to see whether both fighters decide to return to the UFC or not.

What do you feel about their upcoming boxing clash? Who do you think will win? Let us know your pick in the comments below.