Jon Jones Sends Out an Open Challenge After Announcing His Return to Fighting

Published 11/20/2021, 10:35 PM EST
LAS VEGAS, NEVADA – JULY 06: Jon Jones of the United States looks on prior to his UFC Light Heavyweight Title bout against Thiago Santos of Brazil at T-Mobile Arena on July 06, 2019 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Jones defeated Santos by decision. (Photo by Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images)


Jon Jones has issued an open challenge to anyone. The former UFC light heavyweight champion recently announced that he’ll be making a return to fighting. He will be fighting at an event of Fury Grappling. Jones is now a heavyweight and is looking to choke people out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

‘Bones’ took to Twitter to call out anyone and said, “Which one of you big boys out there trying to get choked out?”

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Jon Jones was last seen in action back in February 2020. He kept his title against Dominick Reyes and later vacated it. Since then, he has announced that he is going up a weight class and fight in the heavyweight division. However, his legal issues have kept him out of the octagon for almost two years.

In a recent tweet, the former UFC champ said that he’s only a few months away from his return. And is excited about the Francis Ngannou and Ciryl Gane fight.

DIVE DEEPER

“I’m Shi**ting on This List” – Nate Diaz Blasts Daniel Cormier Over Top Boxers in MMA List

14 days ago

Jon Jones – Return to fighting and training with Henry Cejudo

Bones‘ is ready to return to fighting. Often regarded as one of the greatest mixed martial artists of all time, Jones has been out of action for almost two years. He announced his return to fighting by saying he will fight AEW star and Bellator fight Jake Hager. According to Jones, both of them will face each other at a Fury Grappling event.

Hager, along with being a pro wrestler, is also an MMA fighter. He is undefeated in his MMA career, and is currently 3-0, with one no contest. Hager is a former All-American collegiate wrestler at the University of Oklahoma. However, the Bellator fighter was quick to respond to the tweet and said that nothing was signed yet.

Jones recently also trained with the former two-division UFC champion Henry Cejudo. ‘Bones’ was banned from his long-time gym, Jackson Wink MMA, after he was arrested for alleged domestic violence and resisting arrest. He announced that he won’t be going back there and is looking for a new gym.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

If a fight with Hager happens, training with a man like Cejudo will come in very handy. His fans would be hoping for a return to the octagon soon as well, and it looks like he is on his way to do so.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

What do you make of Jones’ callout? Who do you see Jones fighting on his return to the UFC? Let us know in the comments!

WATCH THIS STORY – Five Jon Jones Record That Will Not Be Broken Anytime Soon

Enjoyed reading this article? Download our exclusive app to get 24x7 coverage, latest memes and social media banter. Click here to download.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

ADVERTISEMENT

Arunaditya Aima

276 articles

Arunaditya is a UFC writer at EssentiallySports. Having completed his Post Graduate Diploma in Multimedia Journalism from IIJNM, Arunaditya aspires to be an important voice in the world of MMA and interview the likes of Jon Jones, Conor McGregor, Amanda Nunes, and other such superstars of the sport. He has followed the sport for over a decade and is an ardent fan of Georges St-Pierre, who he believes is the greatest of all time.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT