“Conor’s Done” – AEW Superstar Chris Jericho Trashes Conor McGregor for His “Weak” Trash Talk

Published 07/16/2021, 9:52 AM EDT


Wrestling veteran Chris Jericho thinks that UFC superstar Conor McGregor is done fighting inside the octagon after his dramatic TKO defeat in the main event of UFC 264 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Dustin Poirier and Conor McGregor met earlier this month to settle things for good in arguably the biggest fight of the year. But the fight ended unexpectedly when McGregor snapped his ankle while stepping back, which resulted in Dustin making it 2-1 in the trilogy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Watch this story: Scariest Falls in the History of WWE Money in the Bank

Since the fight, UFC President Dana White revealed that Conor will be out of action until 2022. To this, Chris Jericho says Conor has done whatever he could inside the octagon, and now he should hang his gloves.

Chris Jericho thinks Conor would have lost the fight one way or another

In a recent interview on Keepin It 100 with Konnan, Jericho stated that ‘The Notorious’ himself knows it will be very hard to come back after his recent loss.

He further added that Conor was lucky that the match ended earlier because of the doctor’s stoppage else McGregor would have struggled even more going forward.

“Conor’s done and I think everyone knows it,” Chris Jericho said. “I think he knows it. I think the best thing that could’ve happened is that he snapped his ankle, because he would’ve lost in the second round. Herb Dean almost called it at the end of the first, but he was letting it go because it was towards the end and it’s a championship, million dollar fight. Not a championship but it was a million-dollar fight. Those elbows in the corner man, once you get a guy down like that he’s finished.” 

Jericho Doubles Down

Chris Jericho also spoke out on Dustin Poirier and suggested that he ask for a 50-50 split in revenue for a potential fourth fight. UFC President Dana White seemed rather taken by the idea of adding onto the trilogy saga. Looking at the staggering PPV buys of UFC 264, it’s hard to fault him.

“if he’s [Dustin Poirier] going to take a number four, which I would say ‘go f**k yourself, I’m not doing it.’ I’d say ‘okay, you want number four? I want a 50-50 purse split with Conor.’ See what happens. If he can get 50-50, take it. If not, see you later buddy. What’s the point? Conor’s done.” Jericho concluded.

Chris Jericho certainly isn’t one to mince words and his stance on Conor McGregor’s future is set in stone. Chiefly, the AEW star has seen it all in the entertainment business and his word on the matter undoubtedly counts for something.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

OSAKA, JAPAN – JUNE 09: Chris Jericho enters the ring during the Dominion 6.9 In Osaka-Jo Hall of NJPW on June 09, 2019 in Osaka, Japan. (Photo by Etsuo Hara/Getty Images)

Conor McGregor has since been out of a successful surgery, only time will tell whether the Irishman will hang his gloves after this fight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

Prithvi Mishra

104 articles

Prithvi Mishra is a WWE and AEW author for EssentiallySports. Having started his career as a UFC writer, Prithvi has nearly 2 years worth of experience in covering combat sports. Eventually, Prithvi decided to write for his passion and first love- pro wrestling.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

essentiallysports's Stories