“Number One Favorite”: Novak Djokovic Wary of Rafael Nadal Threat Ahead of 2020 French Open

Published 09/14/2020, 3:59 PM EDT
Tennis – ATP Masters 1000 – Italian Open – Foro Italico, Rome, Italy – September 14, 2020 Spain’s Rafael Nadal during a practice session Pool via REUTERS/Clive Brunskill


French Open 2020 is just a week away, and the excitement levels are already high. Fans will return at Roland Garros and we can expect unprecedented levels of intensity. Novak Djokovic already knows that the competition will be outstanding. The Serb even had heaps of praise for Rafael Nadal in a recent press conference. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

The French Open is the last major of the year, and Djoker and Rafa will undoubtedly treat us to a spectacular experience. Rafael Nadal will be making a return to competitive tennis after a span of seven months. He previously competed in the Mexico Open and won. Post that, he decided to skip the US Open 2020.

Djokovic and Nadal are expected to lock horns in the ongoing Rome Open finals, but there’s still time for the competition to progress to that stage. In a recent press conference at the tournament, the Serb opined that Nadal will obviously be the favorite to clinch Roland Garros. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

“Let’s see how it turns out. Rafa obviously decided to stay on clay and practice. Surely that gives him more advantage, but even if he didn’t practice for that long on clay he would still be the number one favorite in Roland Garros or any other clay tournament because he’s just Rafa,” Djokovic said.   

Tennis – ATP Masters 1000 – Italian Open – Foro Italico, Rome, Italy – September 14, 2020 Spain’s Rafael Nadal with coach Carlos Moya during a practice session Pool via REUTERS/Clive Brunskill

Well, one can’t debate much about Djokovic’s statements because Nadal is the undisputed king of Roland Garros. No other player has even come close to winning ten titles, but Rafa has twelve of them. So, it is always going to be a challenge for Novak to conquer Nadal on clay. 

Novak Djokovic on repeating his outburst on court which led to the disqualification 

Nole has already apologized for his actions at the US Open 2020 on social media. Moreover, the 33-year-old spoke to the press for the first time after the infamous incident. Notably, he had skipped the presser after getting defaulted at flushing meadows. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Once again, Djokovic looked back at the things that transpired, leading to his untimely exit from the US Open. Moreover, he made a startling statement about the violation that has sent tongues wagging again.

“I cannot promise or cannot guarantee that I will never ever do anything similar to that in my life. I’m going to try my best, obviously, but anything is possible in life,” Djokovic said. The Serb’s emotions exploded due to frustration, which he vented out by striking the ball. Unfortunately, it hit the lineswoman, causing chaos in the arena. 

Sep 6, 2020; Flushing Meadows, New York, USA; Novak Djokovic of Serbia and a tournament official tend to a linesperson who was struck with a ball by Djokovic against Pablo Carreno Busta of Spain (not pictured) on day seven of the 2020 U.S. Open tennis tournament at USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center. Mandatory Credit: Danielle Parhizkaran-USA TODAY Sports

Roland Garros will certainly be an exciting tournament, considering the amount of talent that is present in the draw. Rafa is obviously the favorite, but can one of the young guns take him out this time around?

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

Arjun Athreya

1794 articles

Arjun Athreya is a senior writer at Essentially Sports and has been contributing since early 2020. Having developed an avid interest in sports at an early age, he pursued a Journalism degree and graduated from Madras Christian College. Arjun manages the Golf division and its content, and primarily covers news pertaining to the NBA as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT