Home/Tennis

via Reuters

May is here, which means Alexander Zverev‘s trial is soon to begin. Amidst May’s focus on the French Open in the tennis calendar, speculations have arisen about the 27-year-old potentially skipping the clay-court Grand Slam due to his impending court visit. With questions lingering about his potential absence from the French Open to attend the trial, the German tennis player sought to clarify his stance and shed light on his plans for the upcoming months.

Earlier this year, during the Australian Open, a German district court announced Zverev’s approaching public trial in response to allegations of abusing his ex-girlfriend, Olga Sharypova. And now that a trial is scheduled by the end of this month, May 31st, when asked if he planned to attend with the main French Open draw starting on the 26th, Zverev said firmly, “No, I’m not. No.

via Reuters

On the other hand, there might be a possibility that he might play his third-round match on the same day of the trial hearing if he manages to perform well in the event. However, the 5th-ranked tennis player will have a public hearing in Berlin; his physical presence in the court is not mandatory.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Following that, he has now confirmed that he will not be there for the hearing, hinting at how he will be there at the French Open to give tough competition to the other ATP players. The trial dates are slated to begin on May 31 and run through June 7th, 11th, 18th, and 21st, with additional dates in July on the 5th, 12th, and 19th of the same month.

In addition, he might also miss Wimbledon, which runs from July 1st to July 14th, 2024, if his attendance is required. Olga Sharypova, Zverev’s ex-girlfriend, first came up in October 2020 with a string of alarming allegations that she had been subjected to physical and psychological abuse. While everyone was still processing the shock of these disclosures, Brenda Patea, another ex-girlfriend, fueled the flames with her own charges leveled at the 27-year-old German.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Following that, the 6th ranked player has to attend court before the end of May to directly address the charges, since he is facing a second indictment. Not only that, but amid all this, the German tennis player was also questioned over the ATP Player Council position.

Doubts over Alexander Zverev’s ATP Player Council position 

The 27-year-old made news earlier this year when he was named to the ATP’s Player Advisory Council. He was one of nine players on the tour who were chosen by their peers. However, amidst his newfound role, questions arose regarding the appropriateness of his position on the council while facing domestic violence allegations. In response to the question of whether it was suitable for him to continue in his capacity, Zverev boldly said, “Why would it not be?” 

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Asserting his position, he further stated, “Nobody has said anything to me. I don’t have a reason not to believe that.” Zverev strongly disagreed with suggestions that he should take a break from professional tennis while the legal matter is being handled, highlighting his resolve to carry on with his career in spite of the obstacles he must overcome.

Moreover, what are your thoughts on Zverev’s clear answer to attending the trial? Do let us know in the comment section below.