Daniil Medvedev Pulls Out After Testing Positive for COVID-19, Had Practiced with Rafael Nadal at Monte-Carlo Masters 2021

Published 04/13/2021, 5:36 AM EDT
Tennis – Australian Open – Men’s Singles Final – Melbourne Park, Melbourne, Australia, February 21, 2021 Russia’s Daniil Medvedev reacts during his final match against Serbia’s Novak Djokovic REUTERS/Asanka Brendon Ratnayake


Russian World No. 2 Daniil Medvedev has tested positive for COVID-19 and has been withdrawn from the Monte-Carlo Masters; the tournament organizers and the ATP have confirmed this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

The ATP released a statement on the development saying the Russian’s name was promptly withdrawn from the draw after his test report came back positive.

“Following the return of a positive COVID-19 test result on 12 April 2021, World No. 2 Daniil Medvedev has been withdrawn from the Rolex Monte-Carlo Masters,” the statement said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

What’s more worrying for the organizers is that the Russian, who won back-to-back Masters 1000 titles in Paris and London last year, had a hit with 11-time Monte-Carlo champion Rafael Nadal ahead of the tournament.

Medvedev is also believed to have spoken with current World No. 1 Novak Djokovic. There’s no word yet on whether Nadal and Djokovic will be isolated as that put their participation at the event in doubt.

The Russian also attended a pre-tournament press conference.

The ATP says Daniil Medvedev has been moved to an isolation facility

The official statement released by the governing body of men’s tennis also had a message from the Russian saying he was bitterly disappointed to have pulled out of the tournament under the circumstances and will focus on recovery and return to action as soon as possible.

“It’s a big disappointment not to play in Monte-Carlo. My focus is now on recovery and I look forward to getting back out on Tour as soon and as safely as possible,” the statement quotes Medvedev as saying.

It has further confirmed that the Russian, the runner-up at the Australian Open this year, has been shifted to an isolation facility and his condition is being monitored by the “Tournament Physician and ATP Medical Team.”

Mar 28, 2021; Miami, Florida, USA; Daniil Medvedev of Russia hits a backhand against Alexei Popyrin of Australia (not pictured) in the third round in the Miami Open at Hard Rock Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Geoff Burke-USA TODAY Sports

“He has been replaced in the singles second round (following a first-round Bye) and has been withdrawn from doubles competition,” reads the statement further.

In his pre-tournament press conference, the World No. 2 had criticized the decision to push forward the start of this year’s French Open by a week and said that a week won’t make a huge difference to the prevailing COVID situation in host city Paris.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

The Russian fell in the quarter-finals of the prestigious Miami Open to eventual champion Hubert Hurkacz.

DIVE DEEPER

‘I’m Seeded Higher Than Rafa’: Daniil Medvedev Opens Up on Revised ATP Rankings System During COVID-19

about 1 month ago

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

 

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

Priyabrata Chowdhury

854 articles

Priyabrata Chowdhury is a tennis author for EssentiallySports. He has been a print journalist for a decade, producing news pages for leading national dailies such as the Hindustan Times and The New Indian Express. His passion for sports eventually drove him to tennis writing.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT