“I’m Not 100%”: Matteo Berrettini Announces Unfortunate News at Australian Open 2021

Published 02/15/2021, 3:37 AM EST
Tennis – Australian Open – Melbourne Park, Melbourne, Australia, February 11, 2021 Italy’s Matteo Berrettini in action during his second round match against Czech Republic’s Tomas Machac REUTERS/Loren Elliott


Rising Italian tennis star Matteo Berrettini pulled out of the Australian Open on Monday, citing an injury. The current World Number 10 withdrew from his much-anticipated pre-quarters clash against Stefanos Tsitsipas due to abdominal strain.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

The withdrawal adds to the mounting injury concerns at the Australian Open, with several players battling niggles.

Berrettini reveals he suffered abdominal trouble in the last match

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Earlier on Monday, Norwegian star Casper Ruud, too, pulled out midway through his fourth-round clash with Russian Andrey Rublev after suffering an injury.

By virtue of the Italian’s withdrawal, the sixth-ranked Tsitsipas got a bye into the quarter-final where he will face the 20-time Grand Slam champion, Rafael Nadal.

Tennis – Australian Open – Melbourne Park, Melbourne, Australia, February 9, 2021 Italy’s Matteo Berrettini reacts during his first round match against South Africa’s Kevin Anderson REUTERS/Jaimi Joy

Speaking on his pullout on Monday, Berrettini told former doubles great Todd Woodbridge, “I got injured in the last match that I played. I felt something in my abdomen.”

He revealed that initially he didn’t think the injury was “big” but after experiencing pain he consulted his doctors who advised him to withdraw.

“I’m not 100%,” he said, adding that to beat Tsitsipas, he had to be at his best.

Matteo Berrettini’s withdrawal adds to mounting injury concerns at the Australian Open

Nadal, who had earlier withdrawn from Spain’s ATP Cup campaign citing back spasms, had an easy outing against veteran Italian Fabio Fognini on Monday, beating him in straight sets to seal his passage to the last-eight.

Berrettini’s withdrawal couldn’t have been more ill-timed as he was in blinding hot form, getting the better of veteran Kevin Anderson and emerging Russian Karen Khachanov on his way to the Round-4.

Carrying his winning momentum from the ATP Cup where he took Italy to its maiden final, Berrettini dished out aggressive, clinical tennis in the year’s first Major, putting himself into contention for the title.

Hence, his surprise pullout on Monday left his fans shell-shocked as they had been building hopes of him going all the way.

Top-seed and World Number 1 Novak Djokovic also sparked pullout fears after battling through an injury to win his third-round tie against American Taylor Fritz.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

However, his four-set victory over Canadian Milos Raonic on Round-4 on Sunday seemed to allay the fears about his fitness.

The reigning US Open champion Dominic Thiem, too, revealed that he was badly undone by “physical issues” during his tame fourth-round loss to Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

DIVE DEEPER

Australian Open 2021: Stefanos Tsitsipas vs Matteo Berrettini, Preview, Head-to-Head, and Prediction

3 months ago

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

Priyabrata Chowdhury

835 articles

Priyabrata Chowdhury is a tennis author for EssentiallySports. He has been a print journalist for a decade, producing news pages for leading national dailies such as the Hindustan Times and The New Indian Express. His passion for sports eventually drove him to tennis writing.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT