Juan Martin Del Potro Hints at Return Ahead of Australian Open 2022

Published 09/08/2021, 11:36 PM EDT
RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL – AUGUST 14: Silver medalist Juan Martin Del Potro of Argentina waves during the medal ceremony for the men’s singles on Day 9 of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games at the Olympic Tennis Centre on August 14, 2016 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. (Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images)


With the end of the US Open coming closer, fans prepare to see off a remarkable season of tennis. However, missing out on all the action yet again was a former New York champion, Juan Martin del Potro. Struggling with a prolonged injury, the Argentine failed to return to the court, spending the season on the sidelines.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

The 32-year-old Argentine has had a rough couple of years, struggling with appearances in recent times. Notably, he suffered a brutal injury back in 2018 at the Shanghai Masters and has undergone 3 operations, the most recent being in March 2021. Fans mourn the absence of the 2009 US Open champion, having not played a game of competitive tennis since 2019.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

However, a recent Tweet bought ease to fans all over Twitter. If interpreted right, many believe a quick return is on the way.

Is it happening, finally?

Del Potro fractured his kneecap back in 2019 at the Queen’s Club, London. Ever since then, he is yet to return to the court. Hoping to make it to the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, the Argentine quit conservative methods of recovery and opted for his third surgery. Regardless, he couldn’t make it in time and was forced to rest out the tournament where he’s won silverware, twice.

However, if believed positively, things are looking good for the 32-year-old. Following a recent Tweet, many predict a return is on the cards. He said, “In Argentina, I have played very little throughout my career and there is a tournament there at the beginning of the year.”

It’s been tough for the champion over these last couple of years. Back in January 2020, he also lost his father, Daniel, following a heart operation in December. However, coping up with the overwhelming emotions, he opened up on how his loss gives him the courage to continue fighting.

Watch this story: Oldest and Youngest Us Open Champions Including Serena Williams, Rafael Nadal and Others

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

See you soon, Juan Martin del Potro

Following his father’s death, Juan had strong words to say, recovering from the loss. In fact, it was the reason for his decision on a third surgery. He said, “Of course, these last few weeks weren’t easy for me. Everything’s so hard since my father’s passing. But also, I feel the strength he sends me from above. I had this day in which I woke up and called the doctor. I knew I had to try again.”

LONDON, ENGLAND: Juan Martin del Potro of Argentina looks on during his First Round Singles Match against Denis Shapovalov of Canada during day Three of the Fever-Tree Championships at Queens Club in London, United Kingdom. (Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images)

Whether he makes an early return or not, that remains to be seen. However, fans are sure to be praying for a glimpse of the Argentine in his natural habitat.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

DIVE DEEPER

“An Absolute Joke”: Reilly Opelka Hits Back at Tennis Media for Questioning Carlos Alcaraz US Open 2021 QF Retirement

16 days ago

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

ADVERTISEMENT

Melroy Fernandes

280 articles

Melroy Joseph Fernandes is a Tennis author at EssentiallySports. A Mass Media graduate, Melroy has been a content writer for the past 6 years, curating stories for several brands, starting from his own. At the age of 17, Melroy began his writing Journey with Team BIB, an event management company for everything Art and Entertainment.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT