“Maybe the Injury is More Serious”: Alex Corretja Raises Concerns Over Rafael Nadal’s Future

Published 08/23/2021, 9:00 AM EDT
NEW YORK, NEW YORK – SEPTEMBER 04: Rafael Nadal of Spain celebrates his victory in his Men’s Singles quarterfinals match against Diego Schwartzman of Argentina on day ten of the 2019 US Open at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on September 04, 2019 in Queens borough of New York City. (Photo by Chaz Niell/Getty Images)


Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from the US Open and apparently the entire 2021 season as well. A horrifying foot injury forced the Spaniard to stay off of the court for a major chunk of the year. Alex Corretja is however concerned for his fellow Spanish colleague.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Alex Corretja, a former Spanish tennis player and an expert on Eurosport has cited the major concerns behind Rafa’s form. Nadal along with Roger Federer and Dominic Thiem will miss out on the rest of the 2021 season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Alex Corretja “concerned” about Rafael Nadal after his injury and withdrawal

After the French Open ended in the month of June, Rafael Nadal went on a hiatus. He did not play any tournament between that time and August. He marked his comeback at the Citi Open in Washington a couple of weeks back. However, he had to withdraw from the National Bank Open and the Cincinnati Open after injuring his foot.

Alex Corretja spoke of his form and resting period ahead of his absence for the remainder of the season. “What is concerning me a little bit is that he pulled out of Wimbledon, the Olympics and now the US Open. That means that maybe the injury is more serious than we expected, and I’m a little bit concerned for the future as well,” said Corretja on Eurosport as reported by Dan Quarrell.

Watch this story: A Look Inside Novak Djokovic’s $10 Million Mansion in Spain

Aug 10, 2021; Toronto, Ontario, Canada; Rafael Nadal of Spain hits a serve as he practices on a day off before playing in the National Bank Open at Aviva Centre. Mandatory Credit: Dan Hamilton-USA TODAY Sports

Corretja is in agreement with Nadal’s withdrawals

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

After expecting to make a strong comeback in the North American circuit, Nadal did not really live up to it. His body was not cooperating with him and he had to listen to his body. As a result of a long-term approach, Nadal decided to miss out on the remainder of 2021.

Since he pulled out of Toronto and Cincinnati we were wondering if he was going to be okay for the US Open. But if he is not 100 per cent and able to play and healthy, it’s normal that he takes a little while to recover,” said Corretja.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Fans will expect El Nino to make a strong comeback and recover fully before the commencement of the Australian Open. His age and fitness are causing issues for him, however, his fighting spirit will bring him back in form.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

ADVERTISEMENT

Suchit Halder

270 articles

Suchit Halder is a Tennis writer at EssentiallySports. He is currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Management Studies from St Xavier's College, Mumbai. With a keen interest in writing and sports, Suchit has previously worked as a content writer at Football Counter and worked with the content team for Delhi Capitals during IPL 2021.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT