“Very Bitter and Unfortunate”- Dominic Thiem on Players Quarantining at Melbourne’s Australian Open 2021 Bubble

Published 01/21/2021, 1:34 PM EST
Dominic Thiem of Austria dries his hand during his quarter finals match against Andrey Rublev of Russia on day seven of the Erste Bank Open tennis tournament at Wiener Stadthalle on October 30, 2020 in Vienna, Austria. (Photo by Thomas Kronsteiner/Getty Images)


Tennis Australia is receiving a lot of backlash ever since it decided to enforce a strict quarantine on some players. Around 70 players who were there on the flights that were carrying corona positive crew members are currently under a strict bubble. Due to this, many fans believe that this is not a fair start to the Australian Open 2021. World No.3 Dominic Thiem recently expressed his views on the same.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

“I think it’s clear that there’s a complete inequality of opportunity,” began Thiem. “All players are fresh out of their pre-season, they are in really good shape and have top fitness. If you can’t leave your room for 14 days, it doesn’t matter how much fitness you do in the room, a lot of it just goes away. But that’s the risk we all took.”

The US Open 2020 winner highlighted that there was a bit of inequality in terms of opportunity. He even cited reasons for his statement and mentioned that if a player was not allowed to leave his room for 14 days, his body couldn’t get back to a workout easily.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

He also tried to put forward that those living inside a strict quarantine in Melbourne were missing the things that others were getting easily.

“Very, very unfortunate”: Dominic Thiem

Dominic Thiem of Austria celebrates after winning the first set during his Men’s Singles Quarterfinal match against Rafael Nadal of Spain on day ten of the 2020 Australian Open at Melbourne Park on January 29, 2020, in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Hannah Peters/Getty Images)

Thiem believes that it was quite unfair for all those players who are under a hard quarantine as they committed no mistake at all. However, the Austrian player said that they would luckily get nine days extra before the start of the Grand Slam.

“It’s very, very bitter and very, very unfortunate. For all the other players in Melbourne, I think it’s okay, they can train as it was planned. And fortunately, those who are in hard quarantine will have nine days before the start of the Australian Open,” added the World No.3 player.

Thiem also said that the remaining players were practicing as per plans in Melbourne. He surely felt the pain of others and expressed it in his statement.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Dominic Thiem will begin his 2021 campaign at the ATP Cup 2021. After that, he’ll be playing at the Australian Open 2021 with all his might. Will Thiem be able to win his second Grand Slam title in Melbourne this year?

DIVE DEEPER

“Felt in Top Shape”: Dominic Thiem Delivers Ominous Warning Ahead of Australian Open 2021

4 months ago

 

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

 

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

Anshul Singh

806 articles

Anshul Singh is a tennis author at EssentiallySports, currently pursuing Journalism Honors from Delhi University. Having significant experience with content, Anshul has authored over 500 tennis articles. He has previously worked as a writer and an editor for DU Express, penning riveting articles on sports, politics, and culture.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT