Anthony Joshua vs Kubrat Pulev Salary: AJ Loses £56 Million

Published 12/12/2020, 5:45 PM EST
LONDON, ENGLAND – SEPTEMBER 06: Anthony Joshua speaks with Eddie Hearn during the press conference for Andy Ruiz Jr. v Anthony Joshua 2 ‘Clash on the Dunes’ at the Hilton Syon Park on September 06, 2019 in London, England. Anthony Joshua and Andy Ruiz Jr will have a Heavyweight World Title rematch fight on December 7th 2019 in the historical town of Diriyah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. (Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images)


Unified Heavyweight Champion Anthony Joshua will relinquish his year-long hiatus from the ring, when he steps against Kubrat Pulev to defend his world titles on December 12th.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

The heavyweight thriller has grabbed global attention with different people citing different outcomes to the fight. However, there’s way more to it than just the in-ring brutality.

As per reports, Anthony Joshua will not be entertained with a lucrative paycheck and will receive one-sixth of what he made against Andy Ruiz Jr. in 2019.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

It’s evident, COVID-19 has wreaked havoc over the sports community with no gate sales and several other difficulties. Boxing is also a victim of it, and the biggest superstars are similarly facing the heat.

t

talkSPORT claim Joshua earned a whooping £66 million against Ruiz Jr. and the Mexican made £10 million. But Telegraph cites that Joshua will make only £10 million from his upcoming fight against Pulev.

Although ‘AJ’ or his promoters haven’t disclosed the amounts, it’s pretty evident that they might struggle to bag bigger numbers this weekend.

Anthony Joshua vs Kubrat Pulev- A whole different ride outside the ring

The matchup was originally slated to take place in 2017 when ‘AJ’ vanquished the great Wladimir Klitschko via knockout. However, Pulev suffered an injury, and it dropped the ax on the fight.

3 years later, we are right back where it all started, but a lot has changed since then. Joshua is no longer unbeaten, but he is still the world champion, and Pulev appears even more treacherous now.

Meanwhile, former champion Johnny Nelson says, Pulev could have bagged the money three years earlier. But ‘The Cobra’ envisioned the win, not the money.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Speaking about it, Nelson said, “Pulev is strong, he is ambitious and he could have taken this fight three years ago and he said to us that, before he pulled out, he told his coach he was going for the win and not the money.”

CARDIFF, WALES – SEPTEMBER 11: Anthony Joshua (l) and Kubrat Pulev pictured head to head during a media opportunity ahead of their World Heavyweight title clash at Principality Stadium on September 11, 2017 in Cardiff, Wales. (Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images)

He added, “So he pulled out and he could have got paid three times more than what he is getting paid on Saturday, so this guy is coming in for the win and not the money.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

It further intensifies the fight because Pulev is thirsting for a win. He is an experienced veteran who has fought several highly-rated boxers. So, he can certainly dismantle Joshua.

Do you think Kubrat Pulev will emerge victorious against Anthony Joshua?

Enjoyed reading this article? Download our exclusive app to get 24x7 coverage, latest memes and social media banter. Click here to download.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

ADVERTISEMENT

Raj Sarkar

3005 articles

A senior boxing writer at EssentiallySports, Raj Sarkar is a mass media graduate who is currently pursuing his master’s degree in broadcast journalism. In addition to his current role, he has worked with the MMA team at EssentiallySports and has interviewed prominent fighters such as Ritu Phogat and 'The Red King' Rory MacDonald. He combined his bachelor's degree with his adoration for combat sports and has a combined 2000 plus bylines in MMA and boxing over the last two years.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT