Devin Haney Accuses Teofimo Lopez of Lying About His Mandatory

Published 02/11/2021, 9:30 AM EST
NEW YORK, NY – SEPTEMBER 13: Devin Haney(red and white trunks) celebrates with his coach after beating Zaur Abdullaev(Red and black trunks) by doctor stoppage for The WBC Interim Lightweight Championship at The Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden on September 13, 2019 in New York City. (Photo by Anthony Geathers/Getty Images)


Lightweight sensation, Devin Haney, is back at firing shots at his rival, Teofimo Lopez. The undefeated fighter has now called his compatriot a liar for the comments that he has made about his mandatory. He even explained why he felt ‘The Takeover’ was lying.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

OXON HILL, MD – JULY 19: Teofimo Lopez walks to his corner after the seventh round of his lightweight IBF World Title Elimination fight against Masayoshi Nakatani (not pictured) at The Theater at MGM National Harbor on July 19, 2019 in Oxon Hill, Maryland. (Photo by Scott Taetsch/Getty Images)

The war of words between the two lightweights has been never-ending and has added to the excitement in the lightweight division. However, despite both fighters showing their desire to make the fight, there is still no update.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Haney has now cast the blame on Lopez. Speaking at the AK & Barak Show on DAZN, Haney addressed the claims made by Lopez. “He’s lying,” said Haney, who added, “There’s a whole lot of cap going on, that’s all I got to say.”

With these comments, Haney did not hold back when shifting the blame onto ‘The Takeover’. Moreover, these comments also showed that Haney feels they have not made the fight because of Lopez’s lies.

However, Lopez has constantly teased a fight with ‘The Dream’ but has been in negotiations with George Kambosos Jr throughout. This may have confused a lot of boxing fans who have a keen eye on the lightweight division. 

READ: How Much Did Jake Paul Make From His Boxing Career?

Devin Haney explains why he thinks Teofimo Lopez is lying

The undefeated fighter then explained why he accused Lopez of lying. He pointed out the number of contradictory statements Lopez has made over the past few weeks.

‘The Dream’ said, “Because first he said that he was sending me a contract and sending Kambosos a contract. And whoever signed it first was going to get the fight and all this, so that’s cap.”

 He then explained how Lopez has been saying different things in different interviews.

LONDON, ENGLAND – SEPTEMBER 27: Devin Haney trains during the Devin Haney Media Workout at Rathbone Boxing Club on September 27, 2019 in London, England. (Photo by Jack Thomas/Getty Images)

With these comments, Haney suggested it is Lopez who doesn’t want to fight. This is not the first time ‘The Dream’ has accused Lopez of lying. He has previously said Lopez lies so much that he is confused himself.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

There seems to be no end in sight for the verbal battle between the two. However, with the latest update on the Kambosos Jr. fight, maybe we will not get to see the two-fight next. Fans will hope that this doesn’t turn into another Errol Spence Jr vs. Terence Crawford situation.

What do you make of these comments from Devin Haney? 

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

READ: How Floyd Mayweather Is Helping Terence Crawford and Errol Spence Jr. to Bury Boxing

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

Leonardo Carvalho

833 articles

Leonardo Carvalho is a Boxing Writer for EssentiallySports. Before working as a boxing web journalist, Leonardo dabbled in roles ranging from an SEO specialist to a Chegg expert. Alongside his current role, Leonardo runs a YouTube channel where he combines his passion for fitness with sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT