feature-image
feature-image

Eddie Hearn has confirmed that Dillian Whyte will not be fighting on November 21 after all. The promoter who represents the British heavyweight said ‘The Body Snatcher’ will wait for the rescheduled fight against Povetkin, rather than fight anybody else. Alexander Povetkin tested positive for COVID-19; as a result, there were many names thrown in as potential replacements.

Watch What’s Trending Now!

article-image

Speaking to the press ahead of Devin Haney Vs Yuriorkis Gamboa, Hearn had to answer questions about Dillian Whyte’s situation. He made no secret of the way things stand.

ADVERTISEMENT

The promoter said, “So the situation is, the fight that he wants more than anything is, Alexander Povetkin. I think that, obviously, he has to rectify that defeat, or try to rectify that defeat.”

He added that there was only one other fight that Whyte would consider.

“There is one fight I believe that he would take, and that’s Tyson Fury on December fifth. I mean, I’m not sure if we’d expect that to happen. But at the end of the day, unquestionably, Dillian Whyte would fight Tyson Fury on December the fifth; if they wanted to discuss that fight.”

The statement confirmed rumors that the Tyson Fury vs Dillian Whyte fight was a possibility.

Read: “No Bruises, Ready to Rock and Roll” – Derek Chisora Offers to Fight Dillian Whyte

Eddie Hearn also spoke about the potential replacements to face Dillian Whyte

Hearn even spoke about the other names thrown into the mix. He said, “Derek Chisora possibly, that fight can work, Michael Hunter even threw his name into the hat for free, apparently. But that’s not a Pay-Per-View fight for November twenty-first, specially with the clatter coming up.” 

article-image

The Matchroom Boxing promoter then confirmed that Whyte will face Alexander Povetkin in January unless Tyson Fury was game to fight. He concluded, “So I said to Dillian, unless we get asked to fight Tyson Fury, which he would do in a heartbeat, you just got to wait till January the thirtieth. I mean that’s the fight for you and that’s what we’ll do.”

The promoter gave an update as to how the November 21 card will go ahead. He said that the event will no longer be Pay-Per-View; however, Conor Benn vs Sebastian Formella will be the headline, with the undercards going ahead as usual.

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Leonardo Carvalho

1,042 Articles

Leonardo Carvalho is a Boxing Writer for EssentiallySports. Before working as a boxing web journalist, Leonardo dabbled in roles ranging from an SEO specialist to a Chegg expert. Alongside his current role, Leonardo runs a YouTube channel where he combines his passion for fitness with sports. The latter is a discipline in which he holds a level 3 certification from the British Council's Premier Skills. He has covered some of the biggest boxing stories over the last year. These include Mike Tyson's comeback and Teofimo Lopez's ascent to the pinnacle of the lightweight division. This boxing enthusiast's tryst with the sport began when his favorite puncher, Anthony Joshua, knocked out Wladimir Klitschko to become the heavyweight champion. While he still admires 'AJ', he has developed a deep admiration for 'Sweethands' Caleb Plant. Besides his professional pursuits, Leonardo is an avid musician who is proficient with the guitar and the ukulele.

Know more

ADVERTISEMENT