Eddie Hearn Reveals Surprising Details About the Teofimo Lopez vs George Kambosos Purse Bid

By
February 27, 2021 12:30 am

The recent purse bids for a possible lightweight fight between unified champion Teofimo Lopez and George Kambosos has sparked several controversies. Eddie Hearn, the Matchroom director, wanted to put his bid on the fight. But Lopez’s promoter Bob Arum had threatened him to withdraw or to face the consequences in the upcoming heavyweight contest between Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua.

However, Eddie Hearn didn’t take a back seat and placed his bid, surpassing the total amount of Top Rank’s purse. Yet, he couldn’t bag the rights as the stakes kept increasing. Speaking with the IFL TV, Hearn detailed the entire scenario and revealed how Trilla outplayed both Top Rank and Matchroom.

“I said to Mike Coppinger, I think you guys are going to win the bid. I said I promise you. We won’t win the bid. I mean, someone will come in and do something stupid. And low and behold, they did,” said Eddie Hearn.

He added, “So, Top Rank bid $2.3 million, we bid $3.5 million, Trilla bids $680K, and I thought that’s a small bid. And the Trilla guy goes, no that was our deposit. Trilla bids $6.8 million. How good is this for boxing? Congratulations Teofimo Lopez. Merry f**kin Christmas, George Kambosos Jr.”

Read More | “It’s Gonna Be a Kind of Boring Fight”- Vergil Ortiz Jr. Downplays Canelo Alvarez vs Billy Joe Saunders

Top Rank would significantly benefit from the fight, as their star prodigy Teofimo Lopez has already become a superstar. But, will the upcoming fight also endanger his matchups against the bigger names ahead?

Read More | AJBXNG: A Unique Look at Anthony Joshua’s Brand

Teofimo Lopez vs George Kambosos- Everything for ‘Take Over’

The 23-year-old Lopez is on the brink of bagging the bigger fights of his career. His undefeated record and world title holdings validate his spot to claim a fight against the other champions. But, if he loses against an underdog Kambosos Jr, it would hamper his stardom.

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA – OCTOBER 17: Teofimo Lopez Jr celebrates after defeating Vasiliy Lomachenko (not pictured) in their Lightweight World Title bout at MGM Grand Las Vegas Conference Center on October 17, 2020 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Mikey Williams/Top Rank via Getty Images)

He may lose the right to demand the title unification fights. However, following his stunning win over Vasyl Lomachenko, it’s hard to see him surrendering his unblemished record. The champion is reported to return soon, but any comeback will be only after the promoters get over the contractual turmoils and rigmaroles.

Do you think Teofimo Lopez will come back to the ring anytime soon?

Read More | Tyson Fury: A Look at ‘The Gypsy King’s Glorious Achievements

Raj Sarkar

A senior boxing writer at EssentiallySports, Raj Sarkar is a mass media graduate who is currently pursuing his master’s degree in broadcast journalism. In addition to his current role, he has worked with the MMA team at EssentiallySports and has interviewed prominent fighters such as Ritu Phogat and 'The Red King' Rory MacDonald. He combined his bachelor's degree with his adoration for combat sports and has a combined 2000 plus bylines in MMA and boxing over the last two years. Sarkar has previously written for Republic. Given his extensive coverage of 'the sweet science', Sarkar has become a die-hard fan of the legendary pugilist Canelo Alvarez. However, he believes there will be no one greater than a prime Roberto Duran.

Disqus Comments Loading...