feature-image
feature-image

Cuban born lightweight sensation Yuriorkis Gamboa is one of the top-rated boxers on the active roster. However, he has failed to prove his worth in the big fights of his career.

Watch What’s Trending Now!

Boasting a professional record of 30 wins and 3 losses, Gamboa lost his last fight against Gervonta Davis via knockout and hasn’t appeared in the ring since then.

ADVERTISEMENT

That said, he can re-enter the lightweight title tale by defeating Devin Haney for the WBC strap on November 7. Apart from being the WBC lightweight champion, Gamboa can also become the first boxer to beat Haney. Thus, he has a bright opportunity to restructure his boxing career ahead.

Despite coming off from a loss, Gamboa believes that he has shown his caliber against Gervonta Davis in his last fight. He also believes that God is always with him, vowing to shock the world when he sets foot against ‘The Dream.’

ADVERTISEMENT

Yuriorkis Gamboa is confident about beating Devin Haney

The 38-year-old has recently connected with The Ring to talk about his lightweight run and upcoming fight. He considers himself to be one of the top-guys of the division, citing a fight against Haney as “a well-earned opportunity.”

Talking about it, Gamboa said, “I think it’s a well-earned opportunity. Throughout my career, I have demonstrated I am a top fighter. My last fight against Davis, I showed I am a true warrior. I come to fight no matter who it is.”

He added, “I don’t think about my opponent, I’m just training hard. Devin is a strong fighter. I know what I have to do, and I would rather not share that. God is with me. He will give me strength to face anyone in the ring. My trust is in God.”

Meanwhile, his manager has also entered the mix and said, “Gamboa’s ready. Everyone is expecting him to lay down and be walked over, but he’s coming to fight. He’s coming for that title.”

The WBC lightweight title fight will take place at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Florida, USA. The 12-round main event battle will determine the WBC lightweight champion, with several alluring matchups for the winner ahead.

Read More | Floyd Mayweather Shuts Down Questions Regarding Gervonta Davis’ Future: “We Really Want to Enjoy This Victory”

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Raj Sarkar

3,299 Articles

Raj Sarkar is a UFC Sub-Group Head at EssentiallySports. Over the last four years, Raj has worked in several leading sports organizations. During this time, he has interviewed big names from the world of MMA and Boxing. His interviewees list includes ex-UFC stars Demetrious Johnson and Rory MacDonald, current UFC stars Andre Fialho and Drew Dober, ONE Championship star Ritu Phogat, PFL CEO Peter Murray, and popular ring girl turned boxer Carla Jade among others. With the wealth of experience he has in the field of combat sports, this Broadcast Journalism graduate is an expert in putting out content tailor-made for his reader base at ES. He is a big fan of strikers like Conor McGregor and Rodtang Jitmuangnon and appreciates devastating knockouts over other finishes. Raj hopes to attend and cover live UFC events. His biggest dream is to interview former UFC double champion Conor McGregor.

Know more

ADVERTISEMENT