feature-image
feature-image

Shawn Porter desires an immediate matchup against Manny Pacquiao, though he is facing Sebastian Formella for the vacated WBC title on August 22.

Watch What’s Trending Now!

‘Porter vs Formella’ PPV has failed to garner global attention, owing to its competition with Matchroom boxing. Dillian Whyte will take on Alexander Povetkin on the same day, and Matchroom has grabbed the all the attention for August 22 with a stellar card.

ADVERTISEMENT

article-image

That said, Porter does not appear thrilled about his fight against Formella. He claims to get past Formella quick and then bag a mega-fight against Manny Pacquiao.

ADVERTISEMENT

Shawn Porter is going after Manny Pacquiao at any cost

Speaking with FightHype.com, Porter has lined up a few valid reasons to cement a matchup against Pacquiao.

ADVERTISEMENT

A few days ago, Pacquiao has hinted about having no potential opponents for his return. However, Porter is ready to throw himself in. He said, “There’s a lot of history between Manny Pacquiao and me. Even if you take away the history and look at us as fighters.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Just look at us in terms of us as fighters, in the welterweight division, there are no two more exciting fighters between Manny Pacquiao and Shawn Porter, There’s no one more exciting than myself and Manny Pacquiao.”

Porter has previously sparred with the ‘Pac-Man’ and he claims to have decoded the Filipino enough to hand him a defeat. However, the 32-year-old has poised the final call on Pacquiao’s side, teasing a stellar event for the boxing fans.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I am confident I would beat him in a fight. It’s not just based on the sparring, about I do feel like I learned a lot from the sparring.

“When I saw the Marquez fight, I knew what Marquez saw. The same thing that you would get is the same thing that you would get in a fight. In sparring you get time and time again to make adjustments and look at the film.”

ADVERTISEMENT

article-image

While Pac-Man is yet to react, Porter needs to overpower the undefeated German, Sebastian Formella, on August 22. The duo will lock horns to claim the vacant WBC silver welterweight title. If he manages to win, Porter can validate his call-out on Manny Pacquiao.

ADVERTISEMENT

Read: Bob Arum Hints Massive Fight for Manny Pacquiao

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Raj Sarkar

3,299 Articles

Raj Sarkar is a UFC Sub-Group Head at EssentiallySports. Over the last four years, Raj has worked in several leading sports organizations. During this time, he has interviewed big names from the world of MMA and Boxing. His interviewees list includes ex-UFC stars Demetrious Johnson and Rory MacDonald, current UFC stars Andre Fialho and Drew Dober, ONE Championship star Ritu Phogat, PFL CEO Peter Murray, and popular ring girl turned boxer Carla Jade among others. With the wealth of experience he has in the field of combat sports, this Broadcast Journalism graduate is an expert in putting out content tailor-made for his reader base at ES. He is a big fan of strikers like Conor McGregor and Rodtang Jitmuangnon and appreciates devastating knockouts over other finishes. Raj hopes to attend and cover live UFC events. His biggest dream is to interview former UFC double champion Conor McGregor.

Know more

ADVERTISEMENT