IBF to Rule in Favor of Teofimo Lopez Jr., Bout With George Kambosos Jr. to Happen in US

Published 08/09/2021, 5:34 AM EDT
LAS VEGAS, NEVADA – OCTOBER 17: Teofimo Lopez Jr celebrates after defeating Vasiliy Lomachenko (not pictured) in their Lightweight World Title bout at MGM Grand Las Vegas Conference Center on October 17, 2020 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Mikey Williams/Top Rank via Getty Images)


Teofimo Lopez cannot look past George Kambosos Jr. at this point and will have to defend his belts against ‘Ferocious’ before leaping towards other bouts. However, the  135 lbs title fight has already fallen under dramatic circumstances and several last-minute changes. While an exact date and venue is yet to be disclosed, International Boxing Federation (IBF) reportedly ordered to host the fight in the USA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Australian pugilist George Kambosos Jr’s popularity could have urged the matchmakers to host it in the boxer’s home country. But the recent developments can bring back the Triller PPV in States. ESPN’s Mike Coppinger broke the news and detailed several insights from the upcoming lightweight title collision.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Teofimo Lopez is currently recovering from Covid-19 and on flying down to Australia, he will have to quarantine himself for two weeks after complete recovery. ESPN‘s study claims that ‘Take Over’ was hesitant to do so, which makes the United States of America the most viable location. But Triller co-founder Ryan Kavanaugh hasn’t commented on the scenario since IBF is still to pass the judgment officially.

DIVE DEEPER

Sparring Partner Gives Shocking Details About Jake Paul’s Growth in Boxing

about 1 month ago

Meanwhile, Lopez’s manager David McWater has talked about their views on working with Triller and the whole scenario.

“We’ve been open to working this out with [Triller] the whole time. They haven’t shown much interest in it. If that’s the ruling from the IBF, then we’ll abide by it as IBF champion,” said McWater.

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA – OCTOBER 17: In this handout image provided by Top Rank, Vasiliy Lomachenko fights Teofimo Lopez Jr in their Lightweight World Title bout at MGM Grand Las Vegas Conference Center on October 17, 2020 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Mikey Williams/Top Rank via Getty Images)

The high-voltage collision has already seen two delays from its officially declared dates. So, another postponement can be fatal for the Triller PPV and only an official update can now resurrect the fight on the charts.

Teofimo Lopez vs George Kambosos Jr.- The Blockbuster

The undefeated lightweight punchers had already infused bad blood in the build-up to their clash. Both men also appeared confident about outclassing the other. That said, the return of Evander Holyfield on the undercard will bring more eyeballs to the tale. Nevertheless, the first date of June 5 was shifted to June 19, after Floyd Mayweather announced his return on June 6.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

The June 19 date saw several more boxing matchups happen under different promotions. However, Triller was confident about gaining an upper hand, until Lopez Jr. contracted COVID-19. While the current situation is still a mess, Teofimo Lopez Jr’s return can allure many people.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

When do you think Teofimo Lopez vs George Kambosos Jr. will happen?

Watch This Story:- 5 Eye-Opening Facts About Manny Pacquiao

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

ADVERTISEMENT

Raj Sarkar

2341 articles

A senior boxing writer at EssentiallySports, Raj Sarkar is a mass media graduate who is currently pursuing his master’s degree in broadcast journalism. In addition to his current role, he has worked with the MMA team at EssentiallySports and has interviewed prominent fighters such as Ritu Phogat and 'The Red King' Rory MacDonald. He combined his bachelor's degree with his adoration for combat sports and has a combined 2000 plus bylines in MMA and boxing over the last two years.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT