‘I’m Worth More Than a Million Dollars’- Shawn Porter Details Why He Hasn’t Fought Terence Crawford Yet

By
December 30, 2020 9:53 am

Former WBC welterweight champion Shawn Porter has given an update on his return to the ring. The eccentric America fighter explained why the fight against welterweight champion Terence Crawford has still not happened. The two have long been linked to get in the ring, especially after Porter claimed he was mandatory to the champion. However, despite the rumors, this has been one big fight that has eluded both of these superstars.

ONTARIO, CA – MARCH 13: Shawn Porter celebrates after knocking out Erick Bone during their 12 round welterweight bout at Citizens Business Bank Arena March 13, 2015 in Ontario, California. (Photo by Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images)

Speaking on his own show, The Porter Way Podcast, ‘Showtime’ explained the situation. He said, “I’m not taking a million. I did the best I could to send a message to Bob Arum and I also know people who know Bob and I told them, tell Mr. Arum, I don’t mean any disrespect and I know he doesn’t, ‘You’re going to low-ball me, and don’t do it.’” Thus, Porter suggested that he was not getting his worth for the potential fight.

Porter went on to add, “However, if you want to make the fight happen, don’t low-ball me. I’m worth more than a million dollars. ‘F’ a million dollars.” In saying so, Porter made his expectations very clear to Crawford’s promotors.

READ: Shawn Porter Willing to Box Terence Crawford: ‘The Fight Will Happen’

Shawn Porter says it would be the fight of the year contender

The former champion explained why he will not settle for a lesser pay-day from the Crawford fight. Suggesting that the fight will bring great monetary value, he said, “I’m not fighting Terence Crawford for a million dollars. This is going to be fight of the year or definitely a candidate for fight of the year. It’s no doubt. I know who I am and I know what I can do.”

NEW YORK, NY – MAY 20: MANDATORY CREDIT Bill Tompkins/Getty Images Terence Crawford defeats Felix Diaz by RTD in the 10th round during their Super Lightweight fight at Madison Square Garden on May 20th, 2017 in New York City. Crawford in victory. (Photo by Bill Tompkins/Getty Images)

Porter is fresh off a win against Sebastian Formella, while Terence Crawford is coming off another impressive title defense against Kell Brook. So if the fight were to happen, it would be a blockbuster clash, no doubt. However, with fans calling for a fight between Errol Spence Jr and Crawford next, it will be difficult to see this fight happen.

READ: “That’s My Mandatory”- Terence Crawford Teases a Fight With Shawn Porter

 

Leonardo Carvalho

Leonardo Carvalho is a Boxing Writer for EssentiallySports. Before working as a boxing web journalist, Leonardo dabbled in roles ranging from an SEO specialist to a Chegg expert. Alongside his current role, Leonardo runs a YouTube channel where he combines his passion for fitness with sports. The latter is a discipline in which he holds a level 3 certification from the British Council's Premier Skills. He has covered some of the biggest boxing stories over the last year. These include Mike Tyson's comeback and Teofimo Lopez's ascent to the pinnacle of the lightweight division. This boxing enthusiast's tryst with the sport began when his favorite puncher, Anthony Joshua, knocked out Wladimir Klitschko to become the heavyweight champion. While he still admires 'AJ', he has developed a deep admiration for 'Sweethands' Caleb Plant. Besides his professional pursuits, Leonardo is an avid musician who is proficient with the guitar and the ukulele.

Disqus Comments Loading...