In One Word UFC President Dana White Destroys Hopes of Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor 2

Published 07/27/2022, 8:28 AM EDT
LAS VEGAS, NV – AUGUST 26: (R-L) Floyd Mayweather Jr. throws a punch at Conor McGregor during their super welterweight boxing match on August 26, 2017 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)

A lot changed since the Money Fight between Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, in 2017. With that one victory to perfect his record, Mayweather retired from professional boxing and McGregor went back to his roots to fight in the UFC. But with Khabib Nurmagomedov scorching, McGregor soon lost his throne and from there onwards was never the same.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

After all these years, lately, there was a prospect of a rematch between Mayweather and McGregor lingering in the air. Fans were hopeful of seeing their favorite stars back in action one more time. However, UFC President Dana White mercilessly spilled water on what the fans had been expecting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Watch This Story – Every Title Fight Win of Gervonta Davis

On being asked about Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather’s recent banter, the following is what White said: “All bullsh*t. Those guys are just talking on social media like they do. The Daily Mail, whatever the hell that tabloid is called, is full of this sh*t.” 

At this, when the reporter added follow-up, White, in one word, blew hope away into thin air.

What Dana White will require to get involved in Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor 2?

Neither Mayweather nor McGregor is on the same level as they used to be in 2017. At this point, when Mayweather is 45, and McGregor has not fought in a year and has lost thrice since he returned to the UFC, a rematch between the two does not arrive with as much hype as it did before. At least Dana White does not seem to entertain the Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather 2 idea.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Nevada , United States – 26 August 2017; Conor McGregor, right, and Floyd Mayweather Jr during their super welterweight boxing match at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, USA. (Photo By Stephen McCarthy/Sportsfile via Getty Images)

On being asked what would require Dana White to get involved with the banter between Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather, Dana White said, “Dementia.” 

It is indeed debatable the number of fans who would be interested in witnessing McGregor vs. Mayweather 2. When they competed against each other in 2017, McGregor was at the top of his game. Similarly, Floyd Mayweather was 49-0 and still fighting on a professional level. While on their respective resumes, Mayweather has now added an exhibition with Logan Paul, McGregor has included two back-to-back losses against Dustin Poirier in the lightweight division.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Do you think a rematch is possible anytime? What do you make of White’s comments on the said matter? Let us know in the comments.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

ADVERTISEMENT

Samrat Sardar

607 articles

Samrat Sardar is a Boxing writer at EssentiallySports and is currently a final year undergraduate student of English literature. A passionate content creator, he has been writing since his high school days, and possesses work experience as a commercial writer for companies such as WordsKraft among others. Samrat believes he fell in love with boxing the day he watched Vasiliy Lomachenko share the ring with Guillermo Rigondeaux.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

EDITORS' PICK