Keith Thurman Hints at Potential PED Use by Manny Pacquiao Before Their Fight: ‘I Did Not Regulate Any Form of Testing in That Fight’

Published 03/13/2021, 7:00 AM EST
LAS VEGAS, NV – MARCH 07: Keith Thurman is seen with a welt after a punch by Robert Guerrero during a Premier Boxing Champions bout in the MGM Grand Garden Arena on March 7, 2015 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)


The former welterweight champion, Keith Thurman, entered the boxing ring against Manny Pacquiao in 2019. Many favored him to win that fight, but on the contrary, it turned out to be a distressing outing for Thurman. He succumbed to his first career loss that night and hasn’t entered the squared circle since then.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

In a fresh interaction with World Boxing News, ‘One Time’ shed some light on the enigmatic dance with ‘Pacman’ and a potential PED use by the latter.

He said, “Listen, I did not regulate any form of testing in that fight. He did do the majority of his training camp in the Philippines, and his hands felt like cement.” 

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Thurman continued, “I made a few bad choices, like moving straight backward when I was dominating in the first round. In turn, that caused the flash knockdown. It was an amateurish mistake.”

The fight began on a wonderful note for the Filippino Senator as he dropped his opponent in round 1 of the fight. However, Thurman collected himself and traded enough punches with Pacquiao in the subsequent rounds.

Thurman asserted that ‘Pacman’s hits seemed rock-solid to him. Although he didn’t fetch this subject much, the Florida native still felt that Pacquiao used a PED prior to this fight. Despite that loss, Thurman seemed elevated to make a cracking comeback to get his career back on track.

Read – Jessica McCaskill Plans to Make Cecilia Braekhus Eat Her Words

Keith Thurman wants a summer 2021 return

In the above interview, Keith Thurman voiced his notion of making a stern comeback to the ring. The 32-year-old has stayed out of action for almost two years now. But he doesn’t wish to stay out of the game further. Thurman even named the opponents he wishes to fight out and reclaim his welterweight straps.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA – JULY 17: WBA welterweight super champion Keith Thurman attends a news conference at MGM Grand Garden Arena on July 17, 2019 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Thurman will meet WBA welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao in a WBA welterweight title fight on July 20 at MGM Grand Garden Arena. (Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images)

He said, “Apart from rust and dust and a little bit of hesitation, that was my downfall. Later this summer and bring them all on. Manny, Danny (Garcia), Errol (Spence), Shawn (Porter), (Yordenis) Ugas. I want my belts back.”

It’ll be interesting to see whom he gets aligned with for his much-awaited comeback.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

What do you make of Thurman’s comments on Pacquiao?

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

Prathamesh Singh Chauhan

1190 articles

Prathamesh Singh Chauhan is a Boxing Author at EssentiallySports. He is a graduate from the International Institute of Sports Management who combines his love for sports, particularly combat sports, and his flair for writing and analysis to help him in his day-to-day work. He has prior professional experience with sporting organizations such as Star Sports, Khelo India, and NBA.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT