Leonard Ellerbe Shuts Down Floyd Mayweather vs. Oscar De La Hoya 2: ‘Ain’t Happening Under No Circumstances’

Published 06/20/2021, 9:30 AM EDT
LAS VEGAS, NV – MAY 02: Floyd Mayweather Jr. throws a left at Manny Pacquiao during their welterweight unification championship bout on May 2, 2015 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images)


After a controversial draw against Logan Paul in his last appearance, Floyd Mayweather was being rumored to go against several big names. One of those names was Oscar De La Hoya, a man Mayweather beat back in 2007. While both men are retired as professionals, an exhibition matchup could have brought them against each other for one last time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

However, CEO of Mayweather Promotions Leonard Ellerbe has curbed all the rumors as Mayweather doesn’t look interested in facing any of his former opponents. Considering this, Oscar De La Hoya might never get the chance to equalize the scoreboard against Floyd Mayweather.

Ellerbe took to social media and wrote, “Let me kill this cr*p before some of the media run with the nonsense. Ain’t happening under no circumstances. He know damn well Floyd would never ever allow him to make a penny off of him. If he has a fighter that wants to make a fight against one of ours,   now that’s different!”

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

After facing Logan Paul, Mayweather hinted at ending his fighting career once and for all. During the post-fight press conference, he vowed to never accept a professional bout ever again and also sounded pessimistic about his future in exhibition matchups.

DIVE DEEPER

Floyd Mayweather Net Worth: Is He a Billionaire?

8 months ago

That said, Oscar De La Hoya is looking to return to action after over a decade. After losing to Mayweather, De La Hoya accepted two more fights before calling it a day. He is now eager to return in a Triller event, and will reportedly face UFC veteran Vitor Belfort on September 18. So where does it leave Floyd Mayweather?

What’s next for ‘TBE’ Floyd Mayweather?

Mayweather is still the cash cow of boxing. He reportedly earned over $100 million against Logan Paul and can still enter the ring against celebrity fighters. That said, we saw Mayweather tout possible matchups against Jake Paul and KSI earlier this year.

LAS VEGAS, NV – SEPTEMBER 13: Floyd Mayweather Jr. looks on while taking on Marcos Maidana during their WBC/WBA welterweight title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on September 13, 2014 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images)

Although the chances appear bleak now, we can still see ‘TBE’ come up with some new moves. As Mayweather infused the recent trend of crossover boxing when he took on the UFC star Conor McGregor in 2017, he is still a relevant name in the world of exhibition fights.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

What do you think would be best for Floyd Mayweather at this stage?

Watch This Story: Top 5 Best PPV Selling Fights of Floyd Mayweather’s career

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

 

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

Raj Sarkar

2090 articles

A senior boxing writer at EssentiallySports, Raj Sarkar is a mass media graduate who is currently pursuing his master’s degree in broadcast journalism. In addition to his current role, he has worked with the MMA team at EssentiallySports and has interviewed prominent fighters such as Ritu Phogat and 'The Red King' Rory MacDonald. He combined his bachelor's degree with his adoration for combat sports and has a combined 2000 plus bylines in MMA and boxing over the last two years.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

essentiallysports's Stories