Oscar De La Hoya Discusses a Potential Fight Against Conor McGregor With Mike Tyson and Henry Cejudo

Published 06/17/2021, 6:00 AM EDT
HOLLYWOOD, CA – FEBRUARY 09: Boxer Oscar De La Hoya arrives at the World Premiere of Disney’s ‘McFarland, USA’ at the El Capitan Theatre on February 9, 2015 in Hollywood, California. (Photo by Axelle/Bauer-Griffin/FilmMagic)


Former six-weight world champion Oscar De La Hoya is the latest retired star to fight in an exhibition. The ‘Golden Boy’ has followed Mike Tyson and announced he would make his comeback to the ring. And now, he has discussed his potential opponent with the pioneer of these exhibitions, Mike Tyson.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

De La Hoya initially announced he would return to the ring on July 3, and rumors suggested UFC president blocked a bout against MMA legend Georges St-Pierre. Since then, De La Hoya has been on the lookout for a new opponent.

LAS VEGAS, NV – SEPTEMBER 13: Former champion Mike Tyson poses on the red carpet during the Box Fan Expo at the Las Vegas Convention Center on September 13, 2014 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Alex Menendez/Getty Images)

The 39-6 boxer joined Mike Tyson and former UFC double champion Henry Cejudo for an episode on ‘Hotboxin with Mike Tyson.’ However, before the podcast, ESNEWS caught up with the trio and asked them about a potential De La Hoya vs. Conor McGregor bout.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

READ MORE: Canelo Alvarez and Oscar De La Hoya Engage in Heated Verbal Battle on Social Media

Tyson replied, “That would be great.” Cejudo, on the other hand, said, “Oh man, Oscar would put him away. He’s a killer man, he’s not a Mayweather, he’s not a defensive guy. He’s going to go out there… If he was to fight Conor in boxing, Conor wouldn’t last a minute.”

Oscar De La Hoya pessimistic about the fight

The comments from Tyson and Cejudo showed they would love for De La Hoya to face ‘The Notorious’ in a boxing ring. However, given how difficult Dana White made it for the St-Pierre fight, it is unlikely that the bout will happen. And even ‘Golden Boy’ showed his pessimism.

De La Hoya referenced McGregor’s sale of his Whiskey company, Proper 12, and said, “After he made half a billion dollars, I think Conor’s pretty good.” Therefore, even De La Hoya is not confident that the money will attract McGregor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

NEW YORK, NY – DECEMBER 13: Oscar De La Hoya speaking to the media during the CANELO VS. ROCKY Final Press Conference at Madison Square Garden Dcember 13, 2018 in New York City . (Photo by Bill Tompkins/Getty Images)

The former world champion will return in September after the St-Pierre fight fell through. And although Cejudo and Tyson would like to see him face McGregor, it surely will not happen in September.

What do you make of this discussion between the three combat legends? Do you think Oscar De La Hoya should face Conor McGregor?

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

WATCH THIS STORY: Five Insane Facts About Mike Tyson

Trending Stories

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

Leonardo Carvalho

1042 articles

Leonardo Carvalho is a Boxing Writer for EssentiallySports. Before working as a boxing web journalist, Leonardo dabbled in roles ranging from an SEO specialist to a Chegg expert. Alongside his current role, Leonardo runs a YouTube channel where he combines his passion for fitness with sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT