Teofimo Lopez Recalls His Win Over Vasyl Lomachenko- “It Was Hot and Then It Died Down”

Published 11/24/2021, 5:00 AM EST
LAS VEGAS, NEVADA – OCTOBER 17: In this handout image provided by Top Rank, Teofimo Lopez Jr punches Vasiliy Lomachenko in their Lightweight World Title bout at MGM Grand Las Vegas Conference Center on October 17, 2020 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Mikey Williams/Top Rank via Getty Images)


Even after more than a year, Teofimo Lopez’s win over Vasyl Lomachenko is still fresh in the minds of boxing fans. In what turned out to be a massive shock, Lopez beat ‘The Matrix’ and grabbed four lightweight straps. ‘The Takeover’ Lopez hasn’t fought since then. Now, right ahead of his title defense against George Kambosos Jr, he looked back at the Lomachenko fight yet again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

The historic win may not have received the acknowledgments that it deserves. However, Lopez isn’t bothered. When asked whether his win over Lomachenko is looked down upon by fans, he had a pretty straightforward reply.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Teofimo Lopez said, “Yeah, I think what I love about all this, I always try to look at the positivity and the things that got wrong. Right? Change. I look at life now where any negativity that comes into my life, I turn it into a positivity. I look the good out of it and when I look at it, it is this.”

DIVE DEEPER

Eric “Butterbean” Esch Says He Would Have Knocked Mike Tyson Out

13 days ago

“It was hot and then it died down. So now it’s like right before people, it’s just right before god, just before they want to see you lose, god will grab everybody’s attention. Just to see you win.”

Loma vs Lopez was a 12-round slugfest that urged both men to push their limits. The fantasy clash lived up to its hype and went the distance. While both men could showcase their skills, it was Lopez who dominated most of the collision. He secured a comfortable win via decision and became the new lightweight kingpin.

Teofimo Lopez still has a lot to prove

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Following his win against Lomachenko, things haven’t worked out very well for ‘The Takeover’. He has struggled to bag a blockbuster title defense. The scheduled fight against George Kambosos Jr. was put on hold several times due to various reasons. After Lopez walked out from his TopRank-ESPN contract, he signed a lucrative $6 million deal with Triller. But following multiple delays, Triller washed their hands off this bout.

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA – OCTOBER 17: Teofimo Lopez Jr celebrates after defeating Vasiliy Lomachenko (not pictured) in their Lightweight World Title bout at MGM Grand Las Vegas Conference Center on October 17, 2020 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Mikey Williams/Top Rank via Getty Images)

Matchroom chief Eddie Hearn then earned his right to host Lopez vs Kambosos Jr, under his stable. Hearn was always interested in promoting the fight and had bid for the purse, which eventually went into Triller’s hand.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Watch This Story: Five Insane Facts About Mike Tyson

Now that the fight is on, Lopez will look to secure a huge win and prove himself to the world. Do you think Teofimo Lopez will remain undefeated against George Kambosos Jr.? Will this fight remain hot in the fans’ minds?

Enjoyed reading this article? Download our exclusive app to get 24x7 coverage, latest memes and social media banter. Click here to download.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

ADVERTISEMENT

Raj Sarkar

2771 articles

A senior boxing writer at EssentiallySports, Raj Sarkar is a mass media graduate who is currently pursuing his master’s degree in broadcast journalism. In addition to his current role, he has worked with the MMA team at EssentiallySports and has interviewed prominent fighters such as Ritu Phogat and 'The Red King' Rory MacDonald. Combining his bachelor's degree with his adoration for combat sports, he has earned a combined 3000 plus bylines over the last two years.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT