Teofimo Lopez Says He Will Remain Active Even After a Decade- ‘Y’all Shook Up I’m on the Cook Up’

Published 10/05/2021, 10:45 AM EDT
LAS VEGAS, NEVADA – OCTOBER 17: Teofimo Lopez Jr celebrates after defeating Vasiliy Lomachenko (not pictured) in their Lightweight World Title bout at MGM Grand Las Vegas Conference Center on October 17, 2020 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Mikey Williams/Top Rank via Getty Images)


24-year-old Teofimo Lopez isn’t worried about the drama going around his first title defense. He has envisioned himself remaining active even after 10 years and is already claiming to be superior to all his contemporaries. However, there’s still no update regarding his comeback to action.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

His scheduled fight against George Kambosos Jr. is no longer relevant to Triller and has been dropped off. Thus, ‘Take Over’ is now in serious trouble and is seemingly losing his charm amongst the fans. He hasn’t been active since his win against Vasyl Lomachenko almost a year back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

However, that hasn’t curbed his confidence as the unified lightweight champion took to social media and predicted his future for all the critics.

“We’ll see who’s around a decade from now. Y’all shook up I’m on the cook up! Give it time, this the 21st century! In with the new out with yo old a**es,” wrote Teofimo Lopez.

Meanwhile, the latest derailment of his potential fight against ‘Ferocious’ Kambosos Jr. wouldn’t leave him free of controversy anytime soon. Lopez had split the ESPN-Top Rank deal to explore with Triller for the particular fight. Nevertheless, all of it looks to have gone in vain.

As reported by Yahoo Sports, Triller was already vexed by constant postponements and ultimately called off the fight. In an official statement, Triller COO Thorstein Meier revealed, they had already invested $9-$10 million for promoting the fight. However, the results were zero, which urged the company to walk away from Lopez vs Kambosos Jr. “Enough is Enough,” said Meier.

DIVE DEEPER

“I’m Playing With an Atomic Bomb”- Tyson Fury Highlights the Danger of Facing Deontay Wilder

11 days ago

Teofimo Lopez needs to return quickly

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

As of now, Lopez doesn’t have any official statement to provide. He is still under the Top Rank banner. Thus, the failed fight with Triller indicates he can return to Bob Arum’s stable in a fresh matchup against some other fighter.

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA – OCTOBER 17: In this handout image provided by Top Rank, Teofimo Lopez Jr celebrates after defeating Vasiliy Lomachenko (not pictured) in their Lightweight World Title bout at MGM Grand Las Vegas Conference Center on October 17, 2020 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Mikey Williams/Top Rank via Getty Images)

Thus, Lopez may not have a deficit of potential opponents. However, he needs to return quickly as several people are already belittling him for taking long inactivity. Hence, Lopez is undoubtedly at a very crucial stage of his career.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Watch This Story: Five Insane Facts About Mike Tyson

When do you envision ‘Take Over’ returning to action? And against whom? Will it be George Kambosos Jr or some other opponent?

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

ADVERTISEMENT

Raj Sarkar

2490 articles

A senior boxing writer at EssentiallySports, Raj Sarkar is a mass media graduate who is currently pursuing his master’s degree in broadcast journalism. In addition to his current role, he has worked with the MMA team at EssentiallySports and has interviewed prominent fighters such as Ritu Phogat and 'The Red King' Rory MacDonald. He combined his bachelor's degree with his adoration for combat sports and has a combined 2000 plus bylines in MMA and boxing over the last two years.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT