Teofimo Lopez vs George Kambosos Jr. Is On: Who Is the New Promoter?

Published 10/07/2021, 2:22 AM EDT
LAS VEGAS, NEVADA – OCTOBER 17: Teofimo Lopez Jr celebrates after defeating Vasiliy Lomachenko (not pictured) in their Lightweight World Title bout at MGM Grand Las Vegas Conference Center on October 17, 2020 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Mikey Williams/Top Rank via Getty Images)


Teofimo Lopez will still defend his titles against George Kambosos Jr. Following Triller’s exit from hosting the lucrative 135 lbs bout, Lopez’s first title defense appeared to be in massive jeopardy. However, Matchroom appears to have bagged the official rights. They will soon declare an official date and venue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

From the beginning, sheer drama and controversy surrounded Lopez vs Kambosos Jr. After canceling multiple official dates, the scene became even worse. Last week, Triller explained that they dropped the fight as they had invested around $10 million and had received no benefits.

ESPN has reported Triller to be in default, according to research by IBF. Hence, Eddie Hearn is now the new promoter. The Britisher has already outlined his plans for the fight, which he had targeted way back in the official purse bids.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

In a chat with Mike Coppinger, Eddie Hearn said, “We will of course be proceeding with the fight and are very excited to add it to a packed fall schedule on DAZN. We are working with DAZN and a number of venues now and will be confirming the date of the fight next week.”

DIVE DEEPER

Khabib Nurmagomedov Wishes Luck to Tyson Fury Ahead of Deontay Wilder Trilogy

14 days ago

The current developments mean that the fight will take place in November, probably on the East Coast on November 27. Also, as Hearn is now in charge, we may not see any more controversy come up in the fight.

Teofimo Lopez vs George Kambosos Jr.- Triller to Matchroom

During the official purse bids, Bob Arum’s Top Rank was the favorites to bag the hosting rights of Lopez vs Kambosos Jr. However, Triller surpassed them. They beat Top Rank and Matchroom to seal the deal. As we stand several months from that incident, Matchroom, the second-highest bidder, has replaced Triller, which has caused massive changes in emotions. Triller, meanwhile, will look to recover their deposit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Speaking about that, Triller Co-founder Kavanaugh said, “At this point we’re just happy to be rid of the drama that has surrounded this fight and the IBF.”

“We will certainly, however, take the legal steps to get our deposit back and to thoroughly investigate why the IBF continues to allow collusion and other nefarious acts without any action on their part.”

Fans have been waiting to see Teofimo Lopez for over a year now. Hence, with Matchroom in play, Kambosos Jr. can finally bring him back to the center of the spotlight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Watch This Story: Top 5 Best Selling PPV Fights of Floyd Mayweather’s Boxing Career

What do you make of the latest development in the Lopez vs Kambosos Jr saga?

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

ADVERTISEMENT

Raj Sarkar

2521 articles

A senior boxing writer at EssentiallySports, Raj Sarkar is a mass media graduate who is currently pursuing his master’s degree in broadcast journalism. In addition to his current role, he has worked with the MMA team at EssentiallySports and has interviewed prominent fighters such as Ritu Phogat and 'The Red King' Rory MacDonald. Combining his bachelor's degree with his adoration for combat sports, he has earned a combined 3000 plus bylines over the last two years.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT