There is an unwritten rule in every sport, which is to gracefully accept one’s loss whenever setback strikes at your door. Early this year, when Deontay Wilder suffered the first loss of his professional boxing career, the Bronze Bomber failed to live up to that code.
The former WBC heavyweight champion has spent the better part of the last eight months giving excuses as to why he believes he lost the rematch against the Gypsy King. Now, after almost a week, Tyson Fury has finally broken his silence.
“I think he’s lost his marbles. First, it was the suit, then it was the bicep injury, then his trainer was on our team, then the referee was against him, then I had weights in my gloves, now someone’s spiked his water.” Fury said in a conversation with talkSPORT.
Tyson Fury on Deontay Wilder: "I think he's lost his marbles. First it was the suit, then it was the bicep injury, then his trainer was on our team, then the referee was against him, then I had weights in my gloves, now someone's spiked his water." [@talkSPORT Fight Night] pic.twitter.com/fVeZsxV1Tz
— Michael Benson (@MichaelBensonn) November 8, 2020
Earlier, Deontay Wilder had taken to Twitter and posted a video where he addressed all the reasons he believes he lost the rematch. Wilder dropped the WBC heavyweight championship, marking his first loss in 44 professional bouts.
Wilder had earlier claimed that Fury tampered with his gloves and the gap gave him a significant edge. Additionally, he stated that the Gypsy King scratched flesh out of his ears and added egg weights to gain an advantage. Moreover, Wilder also claimed that they spiked his water, and called his trainer and former boxing champion Mark Breland “disloyal.”
Will Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder 3 ever take place?
In a series of tweets, Wilder demanded an immediate trilogy bout. He stated that despite being offered more money to fight Anthony Joshua, Wilder accepted to take on Fury in a rematch. He further added that he stood true to his words and that Fury should do the same.
“That didn’t happen because he had an injury, so it got put back three months to October. Then that didn’t happen because they were trying to get a venue,” Fury said.
“And then they had three dates in December–5th, 12th, 19th–which I agreed to all them and obviously that didn’t’ happen.”
Needless to say, Wilder’s claims have not gone well with the boxing world. The likes of Oleksandr Usyk, Dillian Whyte, and boxing promoters Frank Warren and Eddie Hearn have also addressed the claims.
“So, I’m not going to wait around forever,” Wilder concluded.
Earlier, Fury had stated that the contract that promised a trilogy bout had expired and he is not legally bound to offer him the rematch. In a fresh revelation, Fury stated that Wilder’s injuries and failure to finalize a venue also added to the postponement of the much-anticipated trilogy bout.
It seems like the trilogy bout may not be happening after all.
I low-key like Dana White and his decisions, but that doesn't mean I am not a fan of super fights. Always up for a chat related to UFC, I am a passionate filmmaker.