Besides Fury vs Wilder, Daniel Dubois vs Joe Joyce is one of the most-anticipated matchups in 2020. The fight already got canceled twice and was rescheduled to October 24. However, boxing promoter Frank Warren revealed more bad news during a recent interaction.
Warren has recently announced that Daniel Dubois vs Joe Joyce will be postponed yet again. He said, “Well, he [Dubois] was supposed to fight against Joe Joyce on October 24 at the O2 Arena.
“It looks like we’re pushing that back now because we were hoping at that stage to get an audience in there. And we’re still liaising at the moment with the government department dealing with that.
“We’re hoping that we will have a live audience in November there, so we’re working hard to get it on. But obviously we’re in the government’s hands.
“The big problem is obviously we’ve got a spike at the moment, so who knows? Every day it changes. But we do have to have some sort of audience there to make this work.”
Previously, it was expected that the crowds would be allowed inside the arenas in limited numbers, following the social distancing protocols by the time of the fight. However, due to the sudden spike in the number of Coronavirus cases in the country, the imposed restrictions are bound to last longer.
Having been postponed once in April and then in July because of COVID-19, a third date was set for October 24. The bout was finally expected to come to fruition. But since there probably won’t be a crowd till that time, it has been postponed once again.
Although the bout could definitely take place on said date, Frank Warren cites the loss of revenue as the reason for postponing the fight.
According to him, the purses of the fighter have to be paid from the tickets sold for the fight. Having a capacity crowd won’t be possible anytime soon, but there is hope for minimal crowds to the capacity of 20-25%. Given the unpredictable circumstances, there’s no telling how much more the fight might get delayed.