Dominic Thiem to travel without Gunter Bresnik

0
584

Dominic Thiem made the headlines after canceling to play at the Summer Olympics 2020 in Tokyo. The Austrian also confirmed that he will travel without longtime coach Gunter Bresnik in the upcoming clay season. He said on working with Bresnik,

There are ups and downs

Dominic Thiem

Gunter Bresnik was also not present at the press conference by Thiem on Monday. Thiem also completed a practice session with his father Wolfgang before the press conference. While Gunter was training with Ernests Gulbis in a hall, a few meters away from where Thiem was training.

The 2018 French Open finalist commented on his relationship with Gunter. He said: “In 15, 16 years, we spent more time together than with our families, there are ups and downs. So it was clear to us that it’s not good if he’s going to all the tournaments. It’s good that Massu is expanding Team Thiem, we’ll see everything else. It’s all unchanged.”

It is also confirmed that Nicolas Massu will be in charge tennis-wise, including the French Open 2019. In the new team Thiem, Bresnik will play a further role as his manager. Dominic Thiem plans to work with Massu at least until the end of the 2019 season.

Dominic Thiem

“The overall package fits. He is a nice guy, has a very positive charisma like many South Americans. What distinguishes him the most is how he gets involved in the matches”, Dominic effervesced about the Chilean.

Dominic Thiem provided the best result of his career so far at the Indian Wells Masters. The 25-year-old defeated Roger Federer in the finals of Indian Wells, last month. Nicolas Massu was added to Thiem’s team just a month before the Indian Wells. The addition of coach Massu certainly helped the Austrian to conquer his first Masters 1000 title in California.

“It was a big week. From the very bottom in Rio to the top. I’m really happy to have this first big title. I rank it higher than the Paris final, especially when you see Federer playing in Miami”, said the world no. 5.

Dominic Thiem lost in the second round of Miami Open against Hubert Hurkacz. But the Austrian feels satisfied with his performance in Miami. “The density in men’s tennis is higher than ever in my active time. But I have to be fully present at every tournament. The next Masters will again be waiting for some fireworks – starting from the first round,” said Thiem.

Dominic Thiem is focusing on the clay court season after the Miami loss. He said: “The next step would be to continue playing as well after a tournament as Federer did in Miami. It all comes with experience.”

It will be interesting to see how Thiem performs partnering with Massu in the clay court season after a successful run at the last year’s