feature-image

Imago

feature-image

Imago

Claim: International football fans from 50 countries across the world don’t have to pay a $15,000 visa deposit to attend the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

Watch What’s Trending Now!

Last August, the Donald Trump administration introduced a $15,000 visa bond requirement as part of a broader pilot program aimed at reducing visa overstays. The refundable bond, determined by consular officers, primarily applied to B-1/B-2 tourist and business visa applicants from countries with high overstay rates.

ADVERTISEMENT

However, with the FIFA World Cup 2026 set to take place across the United States, Mexico, and Canada, the policy created a potential issue for the U.S. and FIFA. With 78 matches scheduled to be hosted in the United States, officials feared the bond requirement could significantly reduce the number of international fans traveling to attend the tournament.

article-image

Imago

To address those concerns, the Trump administration has now decided to waive the bond requirement for football fans from 50 countries. This move will allow eligible supporters to travel to the U.S. for the World Cup without paying the additional $15,000 deposit, which would otherwise have been refunded upon their timely departure from the country.

ADVERTISEMENT

Our Verdict: True

While it’s true that the Trump administration has dropped the visa bond requirement for some international fans, the exemption applies only to travellers who hold valid tickets for matches in the United States.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We are waiving visa bonds for qualified fans who purchased World Cup tickets,” Assistant Secretary of State for Consular Affairs Mora Namdar said in a statement to the BBC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Players and coaches from qualified teams had already been exempt from the visa bond requirement, and the policy has now been extended to eligible fans as well.

In a statement, FIFA said the announcement highlights the collaboration between FIFA and the White House to ensure the World Cup becomes a record-breaking and unforgettable global event.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We are grateful to the Administration for the ongoing partnership,” FIFA said.

However, it is important to note that the exemption has not been extended to countries such as Iran and Haiti. While players and coaches from those nations remain exempt from the visa bond requirement, fans from the Ivory Coast and Senegal, both of which have qualified for the tournament, still face partial restrictions under the expanded version of the travel ban.

ADVERTISEMENT

The FIFA tournament begins on Thursday, June 11, 2026, with the first match set to unfold between Mexico vs South Africa at Estadio Azteca, Mexico City. In the United States, the first match will be on June 12, 2026. 

Our fact-checking sources:

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Sudeep Sinha

4,440 Articles

Sudeep Sinha is a Senior Boxing Writer at EssentiallySports with over two years of experience covering the science at the ES RingSide Desk. Known for sharp fight-night coverage and detailed analysis, Sudeep has become one of the desk’s leading boxing minds. His work has been featured on major platforms such as Sports Illustrated, Daily Mail, and Yahoo Sports, where he covers everything from amateur boxing developments to high-profile controversies like Ryan Garcia career arc. Sudeep balances his professional writing career with a personal passion for reading, cycling, and lively debates about boxing match-ups and trends on social media. He takes pride in delivering engaging stories that resonate with both hardcore boxing enthusiasts and casual fans alike, providing clear insights into fighter strategies, training, and the evolving dynamics of the sport.

Know more

ADVERTISEMENT