Home/Golf

USA Today via Reuters

USA Today via Reuters

After playing six holes at the Riviera Country Club, Tiger Woods has withdrawn from the Genesis Invitational. Woods’s long-time friend and manager, Rob McNamara, spoke about how the 48-year-old golfer had been showing flu-like symptoms since Friday night. However, after his health took a turn for the worse, Woods was forced to take his name out of the Invitational.

The sudden withdrawal once again became a roadblock for the 82-time PGA Tour winner to put an end to the Riviera drought, which he has faced ever since he turned pro back in 1996. To make matters worse, the former world number one’s health compelled him to backtrack on his previous stance regarding “golf carts.”

Tiger Woods resorts to golf cart after withdrawal

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

In 2001, the PGA Tour was sued by Casey Martin on the basis of the Americans with Disabilities Act, as the Tour did not allow the use of carts on the greens. But Martin had Klippel-Trenaunay syndrome, which hindered his ability to walk, and he later won the case in court.

As the teammate of Martin in college, Tiger Woods revealed that he was against Martin’s decision and cited walking as “an internal part of the game.” However, at the Genesis Invitational, after announcing his withdrawal, Woods was seen getting picked up on the golf cart as his health condition could not allow him to take a walk.

The unprecedented incident can be seen as a backtrack from what Woods has said many times before. Per Sports Illustrated, in 2022, when asked about riding a golf cart on the course, Woods responded, “I will never take a golf cart until it is sanctioned [events].” Moreover, he explained that it was valid to take carts on the PNC Championship or the Champions Tour, as it is sanctioned. But “as far as a regular event” goes, Woods firmly claimed, “No, I would never do that.”

The situation Woods had found himself in says a lot about how one can never say never. Interestingly, it was not the first time Woods had suffered from the flu at Riviera Country Club. There was a period in his prime when Woods had to miss the event for the first time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Tiger Woods missed the Riviera CC for the first time in his career

Tiger Woods’s career spans nearly three decades and in those years, Woods played at Riviera around thirteen times as a pro and twice as an amateur. From his debut year, Woods had made it a point to always attend the Los Angeles Open or the Nissan Open at Riviera and he maintained a streak that lasted until 2002.

Read More: 3 Reasons to Believe Tiger Woods Is Wrong and PGA Tour Indeed Needs PIF “Financially”

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

The year 2002 broke Woods’s five-year streak, as he contracted the flu then as well. He had to miss the event and make an attempt the next year. The uncalled flu has certainly dimmed the excitement about Woods’s official return to competitive golf and around the Genesis Invitational as a whole, but no worries; given Mr.T’s track record, he has always come back after any and every struggle he has faced!

Watch This Story: Tiger Woods Takes Up a Daunting ‘7000 Yards’ Test Amid Playing Son Charlie Woods Second-in-Command

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT