How Devs Used Diablo 2 Inspiration and Community Feedback to Make Diablo II: Resurrection Better

Published 05/06/2021, 1:30 PM EDT


Two months ago, Blizzard sent fans of the popular RPG action franchise Diablo into a tizzy after it was announced that they were remastering Diablo 2. The original title released almost 21 years ago, and it’s the first game from the series to get a remake.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

The new game titled Diablo II: Resurrected will also include the expansion, Lord of Destruction. They haven’t announced a release date, but it should release sometime this year. Recently, the developers allowed some fans to try it out on PC with a single-player alpha run last month, and it seems like there is a lot of feedback from the community.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Diablo 2 fans helped a lot in the development of Diablo II: Resurrected

While talking to IGN, Rob Gallerani, Principal Designer of Diablo II: Resurrected mentioned that it was important for them to make sure that it played like the original. They wanted to test the fanbase’s reactions to some changes they added in to make life easier. Other than that, he also revealed that they have had tremendous feedback from the players who played the alpha. Gallerani also observed that fans are excited about their latest additions, and they want to see more.

“For the most part, people really liked them. In fact, they want to see more. The game is still a work in progress – this was a tech alpha – so even from the design side we have a lot of thoughts about [additional] quality of life updates and ways we can make them better.”

Developers used a 70-30 approach with Diablo II: Remastered

Diablo II: Resurrected will have massive visual differences from the original game as it uses a new 3D engine. It’s important to note that Blizzard can’t change too much, as they risk losing the charm of the classic 2000 title.

Lead Designer Chris Amaral has stated that their inspiration is the original game. He also said that the audio and visual upgrades help fans in playing an iconic game for current-generation systems. Along with that, he also believed that Resurrected will have a very immersive experience for players to enjoy.

“The goal is to double down on what makes Diablo II feel like Diablo II, and heighten the immersion in the process.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Amaral also explained how moving to 3D was a massive challenge for the team. In the original, they didn’t have to worry about adding details to characters and items for historical accuracy. But with enhanced visuals, Blizzard made sure that they looked real, but it also matched with the original. Amaral mentioned that the art has a 70% reference to the classic look, and the remaining 30% were details to make them look credible.

“Also, the reference images that were used to inspire the original art. My whole approach was that it’s 70/30. 70% we’re simply making sure it’s classic in terms of look, and then 30% is adding extra embellishments to make things feel more believable.”

It’s a tough process for Blizzard to remake a game that’s so iconic. They are trying their best to satisfy a massive fan base, and their plan seems to be working. The alpha run has been a massive success, but the real verdict will only arrive following the title’s release.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

Rupesh Nair

511 articles

Rupesh is an eSports author at EssentiallySports. Currently a student at Mumbai University, he has been involved with eSports since his childhood. Having played titles like Fallout 4, Minecraft, FIFA, Portal 2 and Halo 4 extensively, Rupesh has a deep understanding of the sport.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT