The Argentine tennis ace, Juan Martin del Potro reports another withdrawal from the ATP Tour after his non-participation announcement in the Mexican tournament in Acapulco. The reigning champion of the American Masters tournament at Indian Wells, Del Potro has pulled out from the California contest which will be starting from the first week of March. His prevailing right knee injury compelled him to sit away from the tournament. Before his loss in Florida, the ‘Tower of Tandil’ took a four-month long hiatus from professional tennis since he was suffering from a fractured right patella.
The World Number four, Juan Martin del Potro despite struggling with his knee progressed into the quarterfinals of the at the Delray Beach Open last week. It was his first ATP appearance after his layover from tennis. “I am truly disappointed that I will not be able to return to the BNP Paribas Open to defend my title,” said Juan Martin del Potro. “It is one of my favourite tournaments, and I have incredible memories from last year, but my doctors have advised me to rest. I hope to be back on the court soon.”
— Juan M. del Potro (@delpotrojuan) February 27, 2019
In 2018, Juan Martin del Potro had a pronounced victory streak at the Indian Wells and defeated Roger Federer 6–4, 6–7(8-10), 7–6(7-2) and by saving three championship points in the title match. His sensational win against Federer declared him the first South American to win the American desert tournament title in 20 years. “I fully understand how difficult it can be to deal with injuries, and that coming back from them is not always a straightforward process,” said Tournament Director Tommy Haas. “We wish Juan Martin all the best in his recovery, and hope to see him back at the BNP Paribas Open next year.”
With the withdrawal of Juan Martin del Potro, the American-born Japanese professional tennis player ranked 73rd on the ATP scale, Taro Daniel progresses into the main draw of the BNP Paribas Open in California.