‘Justice’ after red rescinded-Coloccini

Published 10/29/2015, 5:56 AM EDT
Football – Manchester City v Newcastle United – Barclays Premier League – Etihad Stadium – 3/10/15 Newcastle’s Fabricio Coloccini looks dejected at the end of the match Reuters / Andrew Yates Livepic


REUTERS – Newcastle United captain Fabricio Coloccini said “justice” had been done after the Football Association rescinded the red card he received during the 3-0 defeat by Sunderland on Sunday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Referee Robert Madley sent the Argentine off just before halftime for a challenge on Steven Fletcher and awarded a penalty for Newcastle’s local rivals, which Adam Johnson converted.

Newcastle won their subsequent appeal against the sending off and Coloccini is now available for Saturday’s Premier League visit of Stoke City.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

“It is justice,” Coloccini told the club’s website (www.nufc.co.uk). “It is not a surprise to me that the red card was overturned because it was a wrong decision.

“I am happy because I am able to play against Stoke, but it does not change what happened on Sunday. The red card affected the game and the result, which was very painful for everyone in the club and the city.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

“We lost the game, we lost three points and we lost the derby. We cannot get that back, and that is why I cannot be too happy about winning the appeal — it does not change these things.

“As soon as the referee gave the red card, I knew it was wrong. I spoke with the referee but he had made his decision.”

The FA, however, have charged the club for “failing to control their players in relation to their reaction to the match referee’s decision”.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Newcastle sit second from bottom in the league table with six points from 10 games, two points ahead of Aston Villa and below Sunderland on goal difference.

(Reporting by Simon Jennings in Bengaluru; editing by Sudipto Ganguly)

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

ADVERTISEMENT

Dhruv George

12023 articles

Dhruv George is a senior Formula One and NASCAR analyst for EssentiallySports, having authored nearly 12000 articles spanning different sports like F1, NASCAR, Tennis, NFL, and eSports. He graduated with a PG Diploma in Journalism from the Xavier Institute of Communications. Dhruv has also conducted interviews with F1 driver Pierre Gasly and Moto2 rider Tony Arbolino.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT