Now Reading
Marc Marquez Could Not Breathe After Scary FP1 Crash in Thailand

Marc Marquez Could Not Breathe After Scary FP1 Crash in Thailand

Marc Marquez often has a tendency to push the limits of his bike during practice sessions. More often than not, he ends up having a big crash, and the FP1 session in Buriram, Thailand was no different.

The soon-to-be world champion was involved in a monster high-side that wrecked his bike. Speaking to the MotoGP website afterwards, he admitted that he “couldn’t breathe” for five seconds. In fact, he felt that his FP1 crash was quite “strange”, though he confessed that it was partly his mistake.

The incident took place at the Turn 7 right-hander during the closing stages of the opening practice session at Buriram. Afterwards, the World Champion-elect was rushed to a local hospital for checkups on his legs and back. The good news for the fans is that the Spaniard has been declared fit. The bad news for his rivals was that he is fully fit and there is another chance for a Marc Marquez hegemony.

Marquez confessed that it was “painful everywhere” for him, however, he has managed to recover. He revealed that his primary concern was not being able to breathe for 5 seconds.

“Was around five seconds that I couldn’t breath,” recalled Marc Marquez. “For that reason I was [staying] there on the floor, in the gravel. It is only five seconds, but for me was like 20 seconds.

“It was a big impact and it is true that step-by-step, [I got] better and better and when I arrived in the medical centre, I was already okay.

“But then, I fully understand, the doctors try to manage the situation in the best way and they prepared to have a deep scan [to check] all these things, and we went to the hospital. But the most important thing is that I am okay.

According to Marquez, part of the reason behind the crash was the bike’s engine braking locking the rear. He had completely shut the throttle going through Turn 7, which was not a recommended tactic at that corner.

Scroll To Top