The curious case of Ketel Marte might have just gotten even more mysterious for the Arizona Diamondbacks. Since offering him a $116.5 million contract extension last year, the club has experienced a roller-coaster ride with the switch-hitter. On one hand, he batted .283 with 28 home runs last year, earning his second consecutive Silver Slugger. On the other, he was absent from the team following the 2025 All-Star break, citing a house burglary. Then came another year, with what many saw as a repeat of the pattern.
Watch What’s Trending Now!
Marte is currently hitting .249 with 21 home runs, but he did not show up at Fenway Park for Monday’s game against the Boston Red Sox. What’s more, the team’s front office had no idea what was going on with the player. Manager Torey Lovullo is clearly not impressed with how things have unfolded with Marte and expressed his frustration.
“I love doing between the white lines and not have to answer these types of questions… I don’t love the drama that follows this ball club. I want to be a good baseball team, and we’ve got to figure this out… Once I saw what was unfolding, I became extremely frustrated,” Arizona Sports quoted Lovullo on X. “I felt betrayed, and that’s a whole different type of pain and frustration. But I’m through that.”
The drama first unfolded last Monday, followed by a week-long speculation. Initially, it was reported that Marte was scheduled to undergo an MRI on his left knee, but the examination would take place in Phoenix rather than in Boston. As a result, he was removed from the Diamondbacks’ game on Friday with left knee soreness. He missed Saturday’s game as well. Marte was back again on Sunday but eventually was a no-show on Monday at Fenway Park.
On Thursday, Marte reportedly held a productive meeting with Lovullo and Arizona general manager Mike Hazen to clear the air. Hazen said Marte will begin a 10-day stint on the injured list Thursday. Since the second baseman was previously on the restricted list, the Diamondbacks cannot backdate his IL placement to his last game. Marte had also received a knee injection to help reduce the inflammation, and the team is hopeful that the treatment will have him ready to return once his 10 days on the IL are complete or soon after.
“I’m not gonna get into specifics,” Hazen said. “I feel like the conversation and meeting were productive. We discussed the last week. That, obviously, I’m not going to get into. He’ll talk to his teammates at some point, and we’ll go from there.”
However, missing Monday’s game was enough to make the manager feel betrayed.
The Diamondbacks had placed him on the restricted list because of a sudden “personal issue” and a lack of communication. His agent, Charisse Espinosa-Dash, released a statement clarifying that Marte returned to Phoenix to handle a personal matter and undergo an MRI on his left knee.
“He is currently managing a personal matter and will be undergoing an MRI on his knee tomorrow. Ketel appreciates the unwavering support from fans, teammates, the Diamondbacks organization, and Torey Lovullo during this time. He remains optimistic about his recovery and looks forward to returning to the field to contribute to the team as soon as possible,” the agent said.
While the Diamondbacks’ front office acknowledged Ketel Marte’s personal turmoil and injury, the 32-year-old suddenly getting off track may be making the team lose patience now.
“He is currently managing a personal matter and will be undergoing an MRI on his knee tomorrow. Ketel appreciates the unwavering support from fans, teammates, the Diamondbacks organization, and Torey Lovullo during this time. He remains optimistic about his recovery and looks forward to returning to the field to contribute to the team as soon as possible,” Diamondbacks president and CEO Derrick Hall said via Arizona Sports.
While that’s that, Marte’s past is another reason for the Diamondbacks to be worried.
The Diamondbacks may take a step back with Ketel Marte
Last year, following the All-Star break, Marte traveled back to the Dominican Republic and missed three regular-season games. He was placed on the restricted list, which deeply frustrated his teammates. The second baseman later apologized, citing severe distress after his Scottsdale home was burglarized.
This time too, his Diamondbacks teammates are kept in the dark.
“There’s really no explanation for it,” reliever Kevin Ginkel said. “But we’ve got 30-something games left, and hopefully we can get him back, and it’ll give us a nice little push into the playoffs.”
Sensing further friction in the clubhouse, the Diamondbacks could place Marte back on the trade block after this season. He was projected as a trading chip before the deadline. While teams like the Red Sox, Rays, and Mariners were interested, the Diamondbacks’ demands didn’t materialize into any trades. However, with things getting abrupt with Ketel Marte, trade rumors around him may just be about to rise.

