Feb 18, 2026 | 5:29 AM CST

Imago
Credit: Imago

Imago
Credit: Imago

Imago
Credit: Imago

Imago
Credit: Imago
The baseball world’s been buzzing since news broke about a federal investigation against MLBPA director Tony Clark over alleged nepotism and financial misconduct, which ultimately led to his resignation.
Watch What’s Trending Now!
However, what really rattled the players was the timing. Notably, Clark had been locked in a tough, no-nonsense negotiation with commissioner Rob Manfred over the salary cap, and his sudden exit thus felt like a gut punch. And as expected, a few players spoke up, but Tarik Skubal and Marcus Semien stood out by giving especially blunt, no-filter takes on the whole situation.
“(Tony Clark) has done a lot of really positive things for our PA, so I have a lot of respect for him. Obviously, moving on is a tough decision. Resigning is a tough thing … As far as what I can share with you guys about it, I don’t know what I’m allowed to share,” the Athletic’s Cody Stavenhagen shares via X.
Tarik Skubal: "(Tony Clark) has done a lot of really positive things for our PA, so I got a lot of respect for him. Obviously moving on is a tough decision. Resigning is a tough thing … As far as what I can share with you guys about it, I don’t know what I’m allowed to share." https://t.co/yCDoyQXuMt
— Cody Stavenhagen (@CodyStavenhagen) February 17, 2026
Well, for the unversed, Skubal isn’t just one of the game’s top pitchers, but also sits on the MLBPA’s executive subcommittee. So when he speaks, it’s not just a personal opinion. Rather, it gives a real insight into how the union itself is processing everything that’s happened.
Now, when Skubal said Clark had done a lot of good, he wasn’t exaggerating. Notably, under Clark’s leadership, the MLBPA brought minor league players into the union for the first time in 2022. That step finally gave the minor league players the power to negotiate their own collective bargaining agreement. And Clark was just as firm when it came to a salary cap.
And back in 2023, he made his stance crystal clear, flatly saying the union would never agree to one. “Let me start there. We don’t have a cap. We’re not going to agree to a cap.”
Expectedly, Semien echoed that same sentiment. “It’s very sad to see, because Tony meant a lot to me,” he said. “I think so, because up to this point before any investigations, I’ve had the ultimate confidence in Tony Clark to lead this player group.” He didn’t hide how tough the situation feels on a personal level.
Now, though, there’s a bigger concern hanging over everything. Why? Because with less than 10 months left before the current collective bargaining agreement expires, the big question is unavoidable: if not Tony Clark, who steps up to lead the players into the next round of negotiations?
Skubal hinted at who comes next after Tony Clark
“Although Tony has been the face of the PA in terms of negotiating, I’m still as confident as ever in Bruce (Meyer) and everyone else that we’ve got behind him,” Skubal added.
For now, the expectation is that Deputy Executive Director Bruce Meyer will step in and take the lead as the union prepares for its next round of collective bargaining talks with MLB. And Meyer is far from inexperienced. Over the years, he has built a strong reputation as a respected labor attorney and sports union advisor, widely viewed as a sharp negotiator and an aggressive litigator when disputes escalate.
Skubal also suggested that the transition may not disrupt the union’s momentum as much as some might assume. He explained that the groundwork for these upcoming negotiations has already been underway for quite some time, noting that the MLBPA’s bargaining committee has been working through key issues for the past two years. Much of that progress, Skubal implied, has been made largely independent of Tony Clark’s direct involvement.
With the current CBA set to expire on December 1, 2026, there is no expectation that talks will slow down or be delayed. The union’s stance, Skubal emphasized, remains steady, and the overall direction of negotiations is not expected to change.
Still, one major question remains: will that continuity be enough to keep the MLBPA just as strong at the bargaining table without Clark leading the charge? That answer, for now, can only be revealed with time.


