“We will 100% Run the Event” – Former ATP CEO on Monte Carlo Masters

Published 12/17/2020, 6:08 AM EST
Fabio Fognini was the 2019 champion at Monte Carlo


Former ATP boss Chris Kermode has played down fears around the scheduling of the elite Monte Carlo Masters, amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, next year. While he stepped down as the CEO of the governing body of men’s tennis, Kermode continues to remain involved in the game as an advisor to the Monte Carlo event.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

MONTE-CARLO, MONACO – APRIL 13: Rafael Nadal of Spain in a practice session as uncle and coach Toni Nadal watches on during day two of the Monte Carlo Rolex Masters tennis at the Monte-Carlo Sporting Club on April 13, 2015 in Monte-Carlo, Monaco. (Photo by Julian Finney/Getty Images)

Appearing as a guest on the Tennis Podcast, Kermode said he was hopeful that the event would go ahead as scheduled next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

One of the top events in the men’s calendar, the Rolex Monte Carlo Masters had to be canceled last year owing to concerns around the COVID-19 pandemic.

“At the mercy of French authorities”: Former ATP boss and event advisor

The former CEO said that there’s every reason to be optimistic that the event will be staged next year. “Yeah, we will stay in that date for sure, we will 100% run the event. It’s just now, we’re at the mercy of, as you are well aware, it’s called the Monte Carlo Masters but the Country Club is actually in France. So, we’re at the mercy of the French authorities in terms of…in April, how many people we will be allowed in the stadium and the difficulty is, like Queens, you have to build the infrastructure we have to do the same thing here,” the former ATP CEO said.

He hinted that the final call on hosting the event next year could be taken around mid-January and said: 

“So, it’s a very similar event (to Queens). We have to make that call around mid-January, really. So, it’s tough to predict two, three months ahead, of what’s gonna be. But we will hold it. Under what circumstances, who knows?”

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

 

He added that in the worst-case scenario, the event would be held behind closed doors, but cancellation is certainly ruled out. “Worst-case scenario is behind closed doors, but we certainly won’t cancel, that’s for sure,” the former ATP boss said.

The event was last staged in 2019, with Italian Fabio Fognini clinching the title following a straight-set win over Dusan Lajovic of Croatia. Previous championship winners at the event include Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic, among others.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

DIVE DEEPER

WATCH: When Fabio Fognini Destroyed Rafael Nadal at the Monte-Carlo Masters

about 1 year ago

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

Priyabrata Chowdhury

998 articles

Priyabrata Chowdhury is a tennis author for EssentiallySports. He has been a print journalist for a decade, producing news pages for leading national dailies such as the Hindustan Times and The New Indian Express. His passion for sports eventually drove him to tennis writing.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT